Filter Airbox Repair

As I continue to go through my 2007 CTsw I run into small items that I consider problems that I need to address.  The airbox inlet is supposed to be held in by 4 screws.  The two aft screws are fine.  On the two forward screws the nutplates or rivenuts (not sure what they use because I cannot get to them to see the inside under the instrument panel) are loose and spin.  I installed a shorter screw that would grab temporarly but need to figure out a repair.

I am thinking that I can take my angle drill and drill two new holes, then install a rivnut to better hold this in place.  Not sure what is behind where I would drill the new holes and install the AN rivnuts.  Do this sound like a reasonable approach?

Mine must be different. 

The factory rivnuts must be in a second layer of material because they are past the first layer so one cannot remove (and can't even see them) and replace them.  Not sure what is behind the first layer and I cannot see it under the panel.  Looks like the only way to get to them would be to take out the entire panel which I'm not planning to do.

I think I can install a metric rivnut if I make a new hole that would serve the same purpose as the original.