a ground power unit

Ben2k9

Our club's Cirrus has a way to supply power for the purpose of powering the avionics on the ground with the engine off while not draining the battery.  We'd like to create something similar for the new CT since the Dynon Skyview is more advanced.  Could supplying some power the same way one would jump start the plane be a way to do that using the wire under the cowling for positive and muffler for negative?  or any other way other than that?

22 hours ago, Ben2k9 said:

Our club's Cirrus has a way to supply power for the purpose of powering the avionics on the ground with the engine off while not draining the battery.  We'd like to create something similar for the new CT since the Dynon Skyview is more advanced.  Could supplying some power the same way one would jump start the plane be a way to do that using the wire under the cowling for positive and muffler for negative?  or any other way other than that?

Yes, this is exactly how I power mine. 

5 minutes ago, Skunkworks85 said:

The real question is, is there a good way to power up the avionics without the hobbs running? 

Your Hobbs shouldn't run. The Dynon should only run when you have oil pressure or RPM, and on the CT if you have an actual Hobbs meter it is normally tied into the generator circuit. If you don't have the generator switch on it doesn't run.

On a side note if your generator light is burnt out your Hobbs won't run.

Check current being provided if you use the exhaust pipe for ground.  The exhaust pipe is known to provide inconsistent grounding on some CT's.  FWIW, my CTEK battery "maintainer" will not provide consistent charging when the exhaust pipe is used for ground on my CT.  When the CTEK's ground lead is connected to the engine frame, the CTEK works propertly.

14 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

Check current being provided if you use the exhaust pipe for ground.  The exhaust pipe is known to provide inconsistent grounding on some CT's.  FWIW, my CTEK battery "maintainer" will not provide consistent charging when the exhaust pipe is used for ground on my CT.  When the CTEK's ground lead is connected to the engine frame, the CTEK works propertly.

Interesting, I sometimes will come out to the hangar my Optimate Lithium LiFePO4 Battery Charger/Maintainer will say something to the tune of the battery is not charging / optimized correctly and instead of the green lights I see showing on it 90% of the time I will see a red or orange light. I also ground on the exhaust. Where on the frame do you connect? 

Thanks!

On 4/11/2020 at 3:29 AM, Mike Koerner said:

I have also had difficulty using the exhaust pipe and I also use a fastener instead. I think the one I use connects the engine mounting frame to the firewall. It has a bright and shiny hex head that I can get the charger's negative terminal clamp on.

Mike Koerner

Mike in the attached photo could you please circle the part you are talking about grounding to? Thanks

image0 (5).jpeg

I used to clamp the negative wire to the muffler.  Last time I was at FD USA, Arian clamped it to the unpainted fastener receiver which is indeed attached to the engine mount... the one you described.  I did that just yesterday when I updated the Dynon software.  I had the charger running for a half hour and it worked well.

as you probably know, you don’t want to get the positive charger clamp anywhere near the carbon parts for fear of starting a fire.  

B8C7B4A1-9D6C-425E-9DA0-B51E7444F87F.jpeg

18 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

If you didn't just have it removed during the photo, there should be a piece of tubing over that bare wire end. 

I leave it off as I put the plane on a charger after every flight. Is this a big issue to fly with it not covered? Do you recall what size tubing they use to do it as I'm not sure where mine is but I can pick some up!

16 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

I leave it off as I put the plane on a charger after every flight. Is this a big issue to fly with it not covered? Do you recall what size tubing they use to do it as I'm not sure where mine is but I can pick some up!

Yes it is a big deal. That wire is connected directly to the positive post on the battery, at least it is on a regular CTLS. If it comes in contact with the airframe it can short out and cause a fire. I don't remember what size it is, but somewhere in the 3/16 to 1/4 inch range.

Tom’s right.  
the Black tubing is pulled back about 3/4 of an inch in a screwing motion (get your minds out of the gutter ; ).

The clip is placed on the 3/4 “ of bare metal wire.  
When the charging clip is removed, the tubing is snugged back up to cover the metal again.