slipping with flaps

Nub, I trained in that Kappa, which was my "LSA transition" plane -- from the Cub in Chester.  The pilot and his instructor were using the grass field, which isn't kept up other than mowing.  They had bad lumpy terrain luck on the roll out and blammo.  Sheared the gear off.  From a timing perspective, I had already transitioned to the CT by that point.  I was lucky.  

On 4/11/2020 at 4:03 AM, Mike Koerner said:

This forum is certainly is a source of good information, but I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable here... and I'm going to share. Sorry.

Many years ago, my brother flew hang-gliders. One day at the practice slope he came upon a guy teaching himself to fly. No helmet. No instructor. He was already scrapped up and bloody, but determined. He kept pulling the glider back up the hill to try again. My brother left rather than hang around till the end of the story.

We don't need to be that guy. We can get an instructor to show us how it's done, to point out what we doing wrong and to help us learn to do it right. It's not that expensive compared to the alternative.

Mike Koerner

My suggestion of flying techniques in the forum will always caution the PIC who might attempt these to have an experienced pilot on board if the technique being performed might be new or not done recently.  Flying is serious business but it is also a constant learning environment that offers rewards for those who opt to broaden their abilities.  Those techniques I've mentioned in this thread are techniques taught to me after many hours training provided to me by a many thousand hour CFI who is currently certified in rotary, fixed wing, single and multi recip and turbine.

On 4/11/2020 at 4:03 AM, Mike Koerner said:

This forum is certainly is a source of good information, but I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable here... and I'm going to share. Sorry.

Many years ago, my brother flew hang-gliders. One day at the practice slope he came upon a guy teaching himself to fly. No helmet. No instructor. He was already scrapped up and bloody, but determined. He kept pulling the glider back up the hill to try again. My brother left rather than hang around till the end of the story.

We don't need to be that guy. We can get an instructor to show us how it's done, to point out what we doing wrong and to help us learn to do it right. It's not that expensive compared to the alternative.

Mike Koerner

My suggestion of flying techniques in the forum will always caution the PIC who might attempt these to have an experienced pilot on board if the technique being performed might be new or not done recently.  Flying is serious business but it is also a constant learning environment that offers rewards for those who opt to broaden their abilities.  Those techniques I've mentioned in this thread are techniques taught to me after many hours training provided to me by a many thousand hour CFI who is currently certified in rotary, fixed wing, single and multi recip and turbine.

2 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

Good point Dick.  Anything that a pilot is not comfortable with is a good candidate for review with a CFI or more experienced safety pilot.

I do have to say I get a little puzzled by all the angst over slips though.  Anybody with a Sport or Private certificate should have been taught slips in their training, and literally *every* crosswind landing involves a slip (the "kick" part of the crab-and-kick method is a slip).  If a pilot is not comfortable slipping in any configuration, I highly recommend practicing them with a CFI until they are second nature.  It will make you a better pilot!