Fuel leak

Andy A

Walked in to the hanger today and found all the fuel had leaked out of both wings.  Open the pilot door and flund the hatrack covered in fuel.  I added fuel to both wings and removed the headliner and it appears Fuel is leaking from the wing root area on the pilots side and runni g down the hatrack window. The fuel lines and connections that are easily visible appear to be fine.  Any recommendations on what to do now? The airplane had the rubber replacment and wings removed for the spar inspection in January. 

IMG_20200411_091447.jpg

IMG_20200411_091456.jpg

My guess would be a problem where the fuel line is connected at the wing root. Remove the left-wing and do a good inspection of everything on that side. If you have a CTLS you might be able to identify the problem by looking through the hole in the cabin with a flashlight and small mirror.

I pulled the overhead cover and the overhead Fuel lines appear fine.  I pulled the wing and it appears to be coming from the forward Fuel line. Mine is a black rubber fuel line about 4 feet long then connects to an aluminum line.  I'm probably going to replace the 4 foot rubber hose and see what happens. 

On 4/11/2020 at 1:06 PM, Andy A said:

I pulled the overhead cover and the overhead Fuel lines appear fine.  I pulled the wing and it appears to be coming from the forward Fuel line. Mine is a black rubber fuel line about 4 feet long then connects to an aluminum line.  I'm probably going to replace the 4 foot rubber hose and see what happens. 

With the cover off, did you try adding a small amount of fuel to the tank to see if you could spot the leak?

44 minutes ago, Andy A said:

Does anybody know what size fuel line I need?  The rubber hose only?

It is either 7.5 or 9.5. I can't remember, it has been almost 2 years since I did a hose change on a CTLSi. You should be able to find the size printed on the hose, that is assuming they installed the correct hose at the hose change.

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

It is either 7.5 or 9.5. I can't remember, it has been almost 2 years since I did a hose change on a CTLSi. You should be able to find the size printed on the hose, that is assuming they installed the correct hose at the hose change.

That could be the problem, if they installed oversized SAE hose on metric fittings.  I had that problem with a water hose installed in a hose change before I bought the airplane.  Was a constant source of irritating leaks until I swapped it out for the correct size hose.