Pittsburgh

Tip

Looks like the problem with GA has spread to the big boys.  Lots of parked airplanes even though we are paying insurance.

Come on guys, spring has sprung, get out there and fly solo! Formation flying with your buddy is nearly as fun.  122.75 is "air-to-air". Chat all day with your buds as you fly into Class-B airports, which are vacant!  ATC would love to vector you to final. They have nothing better to do.

That you Matt?  Lots of yellow Spirit aircraft parked at my home airport,  Class D Ypsilanti (KYIP).  I've been thinking about going in to class B  Detroit Metro (KDTW) which is 5 miles from KYIP.  All of the controlled airports are looking for some traffic.  Good suggestion!  A lot of fliers also use "five fingers"  12345  for air-to-air.

No I missed out on that flight as we were at our camp checking on things after winter.  I have been wanting to do a touch & go (or 3) at PIT just to say that I did.  It’s been eerily quiet.  I’m with Mark, get out there fly!  Gas is practically free.  My wife and I have done several sightseeing flights and even one to an airport that we were able to hike directly from.  Be safe out there!

Hi Matt.  I think you met Phil when we came out to see you and Tip?  Phil has been flying into the rural landing strips maintained by the RAF - Recreational Aviation Foundation.  Last year, he flew up to Fox island twice and camped overnite.  This island is in Lake Michigan about 11 miles off the coast of the Traverse Bay area.  Phil, John Vance who's here on our forum and I and i have camped a couple times at a really neat airport in Southern Ohio.  These grass strips have fire pits with wood and are kept mowed by volunteers of the RAF and are usually near forests or lakes. Availability of water and rest rooms varies.  The camping on Fox island had no well so you must bring your own.  They run thru the US.  Check it out if you haven't already done so.

https://theraf.org/

• 2 weeks later...