Winglets & Swollen Skull Syndrome

EB3

Both winglets reached out and smote my noggin today. While the right winglet gave me a good bump, the left gave me a bump AND an abrasion. The top of my bald head looks like my wife hit me with a frying pan. I was sweeping and using the blower in order to clean up my airplane's home, and this is the thanks it gives me. 

I have the winglet covers with the red dangly-thingies, but I never use them. Maybe I should start. At least I no longer have to fear the trailing edges of Cessna flaps. Those things about killed me a few times before I sold those planes. 🤬

Deep down I know it's my fault, but I prefer to blame the plane.

Not a CT, but I took the corner of a droop tip on a Cessna 182 to the center of the forehead once. It staggered me a little bit. At airshosw I have seen many people bump thier heads oc CT's before, and the common theme is they are always wearing hats. A hat blinds you to what is above.

I cannot count the times I have tried to bend the wingtips on my CTSW (Roger Lee was witness to it, at least twice). And . . .  it is always on the same spot on my head. I have an almost permanent mark there.😡

However . . . I think I have found a solution.

I have stopped wearing my ball cap around the airplane. Has not happened since then . . . thankfully!😊

20 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Not a CT, but I took the corner of a droop tip on a Cessna 182 to the center of the forehead once. It staggered me a little bit. At airshosw I have seen many people bump thier heads oc CT's before, and the common theme is they are always wearing hats. A hat blinds you to what is above.

I walked full-speed into the diamond-edged flap of my old C-182A. Went to my knees in pain and my vision went gray. The blood was streaming down my head and nose as I came to my senses. I looked back, and there was a strip of skin 3-inches long dangling from the flap. I wore a big band-aid and a ball cap for about a month afterward. 

5 minutes ago, EB3 said:

I walked full-speed into the diamond-edged flap of my old C-182A. Went to my knees in pain and my vision went gray. The blood was streaming down my head and nose as I came to my senses. I looked back, and there was a strip of skin 3-inches long dangling from the flap. I wore a big band-aid and a ball cap for about a month afterward. 

My dad had a diamond shaped scar on his forehead for years from an old Cessna.

Uhh I know the pain.

On my low-wing the only dangerous part when working around the plane is the prop and after painfully nailing myself a few times , a simple solution with brightly colored towels seem to be working fine.

301251D3-DB09-436D-976A-ADDC8902AE17.jpeg

1 hour ago, sandpiper said:

Hat or not, I continue to bang my head. At least with the hat I bleed less! You'd think that after 46 years of owning high wings That I'd have it figured out by now.:bad_day-3329:

John, I guess we should have kept our helments! . . . :D

I feel everyone's pain.  I've gone down to my knees and seen stars a few times after running into the points of my winglets or scraping my head on the sharp flap edges. Finally, after a years of wacking my head, I now "walk slow with head down" whenever I'm even near my CT's wing area.  Not much hair left so I'm in the "wear a hat" camp to protect me for the next time my Pavlovian training fails and I have a wing altercation.  I constantly caution visitors to my hangar and those who might stop by to look at my CT during fly-ins.

As my hanger is also my home pole barn, I'm in it nearly every day.  I've conditioned myself to do the "cave man hunched over walk" when passing under the wing.  I've found myself doing this within the hanger even when the airplane is not parked in it.  Highly conditioned after a few good head smacks on the old Cessna.  I think the designers realized the sharp edges of the ailerons were not dangerous enough, so corrugated them to be an even more unsafe cheese grater design.

• 3 months later...