Elevator Rod Connector Broke ... Parked Thankfully

TheFrisco

Got to my 2008 CT to find a nicely written note that my elevator rod had broken ... As it turns out the 5mm thread rod end bearing was corroded and broke in winds from the back. Just glad it didn't happen flying. FlightDesignUSA was awesome finding me a replacement part, even in times like today. But it reminds me how important pre-check is and hopefully for you a reminder to check corrosion on that part.

On that note, what is everyone doing around locking their stick when parked?

Robert aka TheFrisco

3 minutes ago, TheFrisco said:

Got to my 2008 CT to find a nicely written note that my elevator rod had broken ... As it turns out the 5mm thread rod end bearing was corroded and broke in winds from the back. Just glad it didn't happen flying. FlightDesignUSA was awesome finding me a replacement part, even in times like today. But it reminds me how important pre-check is and hopefully for you a reminder to check corrosion on that part.

Robert aka TheFrisco

I attach a bungee from the stick to the rudder pedals, holding it in the forward position as a gust lock.

10 minutes ago, TheFrisco said:

Robert aka TheFrisco

Do you keep your plane outside ?

27 minutes ago, TheFrisco said:

So not using the seatbelt then? Why?

You don't have to reset your seatbelt when you go to fly this way.  Plus a belt doesn't have any give to it, I think you want a gust lock to allow a little movement so that it doesn't put stress on airplane parts like control surface hinges.  The bungee will stretch a little bit in high winds and take up some of the stress.

Personally I would prefer to have the controls locked solid either neutral or forward. To me the stress on the system with it locked solid is better than having the bungee stretch and then letting it slam back against the control stop.

Tying back with the seat belt is better than nothing, but tying forward is better than tying back, here's why. With the controls tied back and you get a wind from the tail, it will try and lift the tail and the wind will get under the airplane and flip it over. If the wind is from the front the tail goes down increasing the angle of attack and the lift being produced, and the airplane tries to fly. If the tail is tied forward a wind from the back pushes the tail down, and hits the top of the wing and the airplane stays put. If the wind comes from the front it will raise the tail decreasing the angle of attack and the airplane stays put. With extreme winds all bets are off.

11 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Personally I would prefer to have the controls locked solid either neutral or forward. To me the stress on the system with it locked solid is better than having the bungee stretch and then letting it slam back against the control stop.

Tying back with the seat belt is better than nothing, but tying forward is better than tying back, here's why. With the controls tied back and you get a wind from the tail, it will try and lift the tail and the wind will get under the airplane and flip it over. If the wind is from the front the tail goes down increasing the angle of attack and the lift being produced, and the airplane tries to fly. If the tail is tied forward a wind from the back pushes the tail down, and hits the top of the wing and the airplane stays put. If the wind comes from the front it will raise the tail decreasing the angle of attack and the airplane stays put. With extreme winds all bets are off.

Makes sense, how do I lock in neutral though?

12 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

but tying forward is better than tying back

Great advice Tom.  I only did this once during my short trip to OSH.  I used a bungee "tied" to the seatbelt, tied to the stick.  Will tie the bungee to the stick and pedals in the future.  Thanks !

Thank you Bill... yes, I have a few bungies of various lengths in the plane with the black "plastic" hooks (as opposed to the metal ones which scratch and are heavier).  One is used to hold a tool bag in the back and I keep the other two in the under-floor storage.  When I get to the airport next I am going to experiment the stick to pedals program.