CTsw W & B app

marakii

I have an app on my iPhone called "Aviation W&B Calculator". So far I am using the "basic" plan which works for me. It's $4.99/yr and allows 2 tail numbers and one device. The "Pro" version allows up to 10 tail numbers on two devices and is $9.99/yr. A "Pro +" plan is $14.99/yr and includes unlimited tail numbers, 3 devices. Something for everyone.:) I don't mind paying a little. Someone put an effort into it. I recall there was a free trial period so  you can see if you like it.

At one time I had a free app but it eventually disappeared. 

I also have a page on my Garmin Aera that is probably all I need but having it on the iPhone is handy.

Curious how many people run into balance issues with the CT's?  As I've been running combinations of full fuel to low fuel, the CG remains very far forward in the envelope.  I've not studied much for weight combinations in the baggage area, but suspect the far forward CG on my bird essentially works any scenario, and all that matters is staying within weight limitation.  

Is this also true with others (both SW's and LS's)?    I've yet to see balance be a factor, and if it was, what actions are you taking?

Most of the CT's when loaded withing limits of gross weight, baggage, and seat weight will remain in or very close to the CG envelope without any problems. I generally just calculated total weight, and made sure that there was not more than 110 pounds in the baggage compartment.

45 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Most of the CT's when loaded withing limits of gross weight, baggage, and seat weight will remain in or very close to the CG envelope without any problems. I generally just calculated total weight, and made sure that there was not more than 110 pounds in the baggage compartment.

That's how I do it...I did the calcs in my airplane and any combination of weights will not get out of balance as long as I don't overload any station(s).  It is possible to get out of balance with very light loading and a light pilot, but with the amount of junk I keep in the airplane and my 185lb weight, it's not a concern.

I learned from FD an interesting fact about CG and our gas tanks.  The tanks are longer and thinner than most GA tanks.  Full or not, little effect on W&B.  With that said I have been using the Tom (what he said above) method.

the flying and trim characteristics have been surprisingly the same no matter what the weight. 

15 hours ago, AGLyme said:

I learned from FD an interesting fact about CG and our gas tanks.  The tanks are longer and thinner than most GA tanks.  Full or not, little effect on W&B.  With that said I have been using the Tom (what he said above) method.

the flying and trim characteristics have been surprisingly the same no matter what the weight. 

Hmm...wouldn't the CG effect of the tanks be based on how close they are to the center of balance, and not how far out to the sides they extend?  I suppose a narrower tank does put more fuel closer to the balance point if the tank is centered right on it though.

On 4/19/2020 at 7:38 PM, marakii said:

Hello fliers out there,  anyone have a great way to calculate W & B on my new CTsw?

is there an easy app as there are few out there or even a document no issue what it is .  Thanks and be safe !

On the original question, I'm using the Excel spreadsheet that previous people have posted.  I think this came from Skunkworks, but have made some updates to it.  If you don't have MS office, there is freeware called Open Office that allows to open & revise MS doc's.  The tab for entering weight by station locations automatically plots the CG on the envelope, a nice spreadsheet to automate all the number crunching:

image.png.3247cb26799b1a8b7c68edf5f2b9bb34.png

I've also added a sheet for maintaining control around weight changes / equipment list revisions:

image.png.01d90a58dd9c242ee210fddc12a8047e.png

Having an accurate weight & balance is where all this starts.  I carry the original FD weight & balance sheet, plus a hard copy print out of both the above items.  In the very unlikely chance I was ramp checked, I'd start by pulling these out and saying let's start with what my aircraft is, and nothing cold be questioned as missing or added from beyond the factory documentation.  The next step would be to then demonstrate weight is compliant, as likely being the largest violation someone would be attempting to sniff out.  If we get into the weeds of balance, there is calculator function one phone to run those numbers as needed.  Also for what it's worth, if you're not working with a trail of equipment changes you know is correct, it's worth an audit.  My CT had the GPS and AirGizmo mount in it but not included in the previous A&P's had constructed.  One could say they are portable, but when panel mounted I'd say not.  People often forget to remove weight when making changes, and only add the new item, don't short change yourself either way.  

W&B.xlsx

• 4 weeks later...