Oil Pressure Sensor

Tbass2020

Hi All, I have been noticing that upon starting my engine my oil pressure sometimes takes a bit of time to show pressure. Then when it does it goes crazy for a few minutes and seems settle down once the engine has warmed up. A few times it's gone out while in flight.  Ive read that it could be the sensor but I was also curious what would happen if the sensor setting on the Dynon 120 was set to the wrong sensor example it's at 1 when it should be 4. What type of issue would that cause?

Thanks in advance!

I had my oil pressure reading go bonkers on me before, similarly to your experience. It turned out the be the gauge itself. Roger Lee advised at the time that the senders very rarely go out. I bought a new gauge from Aircraft Spruce, but found out the the original Mfr overhauls the oil pressure gauges and temperature gauges quite reasonably. My CT is a 2006, so not sure if the gauge story would be the same on yours. I will look up the company name and phone number that I have and get back to you right away. 

He has a Dynon, not an analog gauge. Sending unit do fail on a regular basis. I used to have a rig set up to test them, now I just replace. If the new unit doesn't fix the problem I can always switch back to the old sender. Failures are so common that I started keeping a spare VDO sender in inventory. I have not replaced many of the later style sending units.

The senders fail due to vibration. There two things you can do to help the senders. the first is remote mounting the sending unit. This requires a different sender with 2 terminals, with one going to ground. The other thing is keeping the carbs balanced. A quick indicator that you may need a carb balance is watching your throttle lever, especially at idle. If it has a significant vibration or buzzing, you may need to balance the carbs. 

I have replaced two sensors in the 12 years and 650 hours on my plane. Like Tom, I keep a spare sensor. They are cheap.

The first time this happened I traced all connections, cleaned them, and secured them. Although it could be a wiring issue, in my failures replacing the sender fixed it immediately. When they fail, at least in my case, they were erratic. The needle didn't just drop to zero and stay there.