Carb Sync Equipment

GrassStripFlyBoy

15 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Went over the whole plane with a "nut & bolt" routine.  Balance tube secure and centered.  Noticed one exhaust had both the nuts securing the flange to head a little loose, could wiggle the header pipe a bit by hand and saw the flange moving too, so torqued them down back snug, probably not enough looseness to amount to anything - but nice to inspect and confirm.  Also noticed when throttle is full idle position, the right side carb is full closed to stop screw, but the left carb has slight gap.  Swapped out that control cover I recently made with my panel project, the factory cover was the same result - so nothing to that.  Plan to adjust the RPM to 1800, correctly adjust the stop screws, and check balance when the sync kit arrives.  Appreciate the inputs from everyone, having fun tinkering and learning the Rotax.  It sure is a treat to pull the cowl and not be looking at a crudy, leaking oil, 50 year old Continental.  Wiped down and waxed the belly, that was the worst job on my old Cessna, cleaning grime off the belly.   

That control cover can have an effect on your idle speed. The throttle lever should come all the was to the back of the slot. Also if it were me I would angle the rear portion of the slot to match the angle of the throttle lever for more contact area. That way you are not resting against a sharp corner.

27 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

That control cover can have an effect on your idle speed. The throttle lever should come all the was to the back of the slot. Also if it were me I would angle the rear portion of the slot to match the angle of the throttle lever for more contact area. That way you are not resting against a sharp corner.

Yeah - I was careful to make it every bit as large as the factory, and did bevel the back edge.  I'm seeing the forward full power setting has about 1/4" of extra travel beyond carb mechanical stop, so it looks to be plenty of range to reset the lower RPM with the cable lengths here.  Not touching anything until the sync equipment arrives.