Door Strut options

On 5/2/2020 at 5:06 PM, WmInce said:

I don't . . . never have . . they are 4 years old.

Matter of fact, I just wipe them down and keep them clean of debris.

What I do practice though . . . each time I open the doors up, I make sure they are fully opened, all the way to the stops. I get better life out of the struts by doing that. Otherwise, the door struts lose their tension and the weight of the doors will cause the doors to start sagging down.

I ordered my last set from Roger Lee.

YMMV.

Mine don't sag, they just make a scratching rubbing noise. I think they just need lube up. 

Works great.  

PS:  My only issue with it is the too-short plastic lube delivery tube that comes with it.  I wish I could find a tube about a foot long.  Much easier to lubricate hard to reach points say... in the mixer through the baggage compartment for example.  

11 hours ago, WmInce said:

Yes. That is the INOX we are referring to. "Food Grade," of course! :D

5606 is Mil-Spec hydraulic fluid (color red). Used as brake fluid in CT's and other aircraft. Pretty nasty stuff.

So you would buy the inox and not 5606?

1 hour ago, AGLyme said:

Works great.  

PS:  My only issue with it is the too-short plastic lube delivery tube that comes with it.  I wish I could find a tube about a foot long.  Much easier to lubricate hard to reach points say... in the mixer through the baggage compartment for example.  

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/extendalube.php?gclid=Cj0KCQjwncT1BRDhARIsAOQF9LlYqUjyNNvpqdO1AePT5jQAf4UDyhkfabt7fSUpZgJc6OJbeNv_aX4aAvylEALw_wcB

There are others. I have a set that is 3' long. I use them for lubing the rollers in the wing on a CT.

2 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Tom do you have experience in lubricating the door struts or usually just replace them when they get noisy?

4 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Tom do you have experience in lubricating the door struts or usually just replace them when they get noisy?

I have replaced them because they didn't hold the door up anymore, but not because of noise. I would try a little spray silicone or some Inox. You can spray it on a rag and wipe it down.

1 hour ago, Tom Baker said:

I have replaced them because they didn't hold the door up anymore, but not because of noise. I would try a little spray silicone or some Inox. You can spray it on a rag and wipe it down.

Innox is $23 shipped a can, any other cheap spray lubricant you recommend that I may be able to find locally and a bit cheaper?