Removing Ignition switch?

Working on the panel project, and approaching point of lower the center section, took a quick peek at ignition switch and need some input on removing it.  Loosened the back side nut, and removed the front side bezel ring, next steps not as obvious - looks like its assembled from both sides of the panel?  How's this disassembled?

21 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Figured it out, assumed the red tab on the back side was a release for mechanism, sure enough.  Install key, turn to ignition 2, slide red tab over and the key cylinder pulls out the front and the switch is then free from the back side.

You have to make both CDIs "hot" to remove the switch?  Seems like a bad design...

11 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Battery disconnected prior to working on this, as my panel is opened up - don't want possibility of a short occurring.  But yeah, I thought similar regarding having to turn key to on positions.  

Sure, I assumed power disconnected.  But I could foresee a scenario where somebody is trying to fix a different problem and just wants to quickly remove the switch to get it out of the way, and in their haste to get the key turned for removal bumps the starter...

22 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

You have to make both CDIs "hot" to remove the switch?  Seems like a bad design...

I can't think of any aircraft that I have worked on in 40 years that the ignition wouldn't be "HOT" if you remove the switch. The switch is the source of grounding for the ignition, and you are taking that away. There are precautions that you can take, for example you can provide an alternate form of ground, you can also remove the ignition leads and the top spark plugs.

21 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

I can't think of any aircraft that I have worked on in 40 years that the ignition wouldn't be "HOT" if you remove the switch. The switch is the source of grounding for the ignition, and you are taking that away. There are precautions that you can take, for example you can provide an alternate form of ground, you can also remove the ignition leads and the top spark plugs.

Obviously when you remove the switch and leave bare leads, there is a risk.  I'm just surprised you have to make the switch hot prior to removal.  With master off and normal precautions, it's not a big deal.  Just seems an easy thing to design NOT to have to be the case.