Upgrade options for CTSW without glass

edge-shine

Hey folks – long time/first time.

I'm going Sport Pilot, and looking out the options out there, a CTSW ticks most of the boxes in things I'd want in an LSA (with the notable exception of 'place to put dog', but I'm open to suggestions…)

I noticed that models without an EFIS regularly lists at an $8-10k discount. Given how far things have come in the last few years in experimental avionics, I'd rather put that money towards more modern gear rather than settle for a 12-year old Dynon module. Additionally, I'm not sure I'd want to dump a ton of money into the part of the aircraft where you're least able to get it out, when in in 5-years I'd be upgrading to the freshly-legal LSA which has an adjustable prop and a 1600 pound gross. 

What I'm looking for is the most bang-for-the-buck upgrades, given a model with just the stock AP and maybe an old GPSMAP.

Things which don't look to attractive to me:

• Dynon Skyview/Garmin G3x – Guesstimating $8-10k. Get all the toys, but expensive, and you have to replace the existing TruTrak servos.
  • GRT Horizon 10" – Doesn't look like it'd fit. Would do IFR RNAV approaches in emergencies though.
  • Garmin GPS 175 – $4200 + installation. Also would need CDI, but you might as well go all the way and replace your attitude indicator (if you even have one!) with a G5 and yank out the vacuum pump, so factor a few thousand extra in. Would autopilot an instrument approach in an emergency, but I wouldn't really get the benefit of day-to-day. Might make sense if I'm doing a leaseback to a club for people to have a cheap plane for instrument training. Also looking at $400/year in nav data subs.

Options that I'm considering

• The Bare Minimum: Replace crusty GPSMAP with an Aera 660 ~$900 for parts and installation
    • Pros: cheapest option, works with ForeFlight so I can push flight plans over. Would exist mostly to drive the AP with GPS waypoints.
    • New Aera 760 just announced, but I have no idea what additional, useful features it has besides a built-in AHRS
    • Cons: No air data inputs, no engine monitoring
  • Install GRT Avionics Mini-AP for $2100 + installation.
    • Pros: full flight director/GPS Steering for autopilot instead of waypoint navigation. Supports AOA monitoring. Can do engine monitoring by throwing more money at it.
    • Cons: No Foreflight support, which honestly may be a dealbreaker. I can add 'dedicated' screens by taping Android devices up but… ugh…

What alternatives am I missing out on? My mission is very Sport Pilot – burger runs, some casual trips up and down here and there. Is there something halfway between 'just upgrade your NMEA source' and 'fancy glass everywhere'?

Greetings and welcome,

Nearly identical path I went down, opted for '06 SW with low time and the most basic panel to keep the initial purchase in my budget.  I did not buy several of the "cheapest" airplanes I considered along the way, be patient - it seems SW's hit market at rate of 1-3 a month or so. 

Finding the right airframe / engine / overall condition is the goal, if you mix in autopilot and other equipment (tundra or non-tundra wheels) - that really narrows the options.  I thought I wanted AP in my initial purchase as well, but was not in my bird, and I'm still in no hurry to add it.  With aileron trim, I've gotten by on some long cross countries not being over tasked hand flying.

Balancing out all the technology these days is a project in itself, just look at how many posts routinely hit this forum around a tech issue with something not working correctly.  I'm not anti Garmin, or Dynon - they make nice stuff in the latest offerings, but costly to add and becomes outdated going forward.  I opted for GRT Sport 7" display, you are correct the Horizon won't package width wise in SW panel.  I also really like having the steam gages, I still reference them in scan, and find 7" display is plenty large enough for reading details on various screen display options.  Look at some of my past posts on "panel project", and I'll be doing more soon as I'm wrapping up a large portion of the ongoing work this weekend.

I favor using GRT for primary GPS Nav, then iPad with WingX for secondary GPS (driven off Stratux, and that is not Stratus) for ADS-B dual IN feeding both traffic, and GRT the weather.  WingX app for VFR is $0.99 /year.  In place of Foreflight, for filing flight plans, opening & closing / etc, I use 1800wxbrief.com both on home PC and on phone browser, they auto email you links to open and close plans, a nice reminder - and this service is free.  Stratux ~ $200, latest iPad Mini ~ $400, GRT Sport = $2000, and a tailbeacon for ADS-B out $1600

There are some other LSA aircraft I was considering, could not get past the engine in Jabiru.  I like some of the other high wing birds such as Tecnam, Aeroprakt, and even the Skycatcher coming out of previous Cessna ownership.  It's hard to beat CT's on so many points, range and cruise speed, looks, flight responsiveness and visibility, good support such as this forum and a product line still in production, could keep going on and on - I love the CT.  Regardless of what bird, portable technology and iPad gets you a long ways as well, I would not really need the full EFIS of GRT, but for price point compared to just a G5 or the smaller entry point artificial horizons and such, it's nice to have extra features and larger size.

In the end, adding up what I will have in my bird, to my tastes, looking at market today I'm still seeing sizable savings.  Unless I had 90k+ to spend on a newer LS, finding a clean SW and modernizing panel makes sense for us limited budget players. 

Just one man's opinion:

For the type of VFR flying you'll be doing in a CT, you don't really need an EFIS.  The main advantage to me is the built-in attitude reference an EFIS provides.  My airplane has the basic Dynon D-100 with no synthetic vision, EMS, AoA, or other extras.  My engine instruments are a tach and small UMA oil & cyl temp, oil pressure, and volts.  I have flown this airplane all over the USA like that, in some pretty marginal conditions, and never felt inadequately instrumented.  

I do recommend a small EFIS just for the attitude reference, but you don't need to spend ten grand for it -- a Dynon D10A is $2300 from Aircraft Spruce and will keep you upright and give you flight instruments.  If you want to spend money to get every bell and whistle known to man, more power to you.  But don't think you have to in order to be safe and keep your airplane running well.