Lots of creaking noise...

The other day my girlfriend pointed out to me that when we are taxiing around she can hear a lot of creaking in the airframe that she never heard before. I started paying attention and it's actually quite audible even under a pair of Bose A20s. Anyone notice similar? Certain areas we can lubricate that are more prone to this then others? I know it could be a million different things but figured I'd ask in case anyone had any idea?

I noticed the day my window vent would make a horrible vibrating noise, I tightened up the Allen key screws on the outside of the door vent and the noise went away. Hoping it's something simple like that.

When I had passenger and full fuel nearing gross I noticed squeaking noise that appeared to come from landing gear leg attachment / behind seats.  I'm in SW which is completely different than LS gear.  Since I rolled my turf runway a lot this spring, much smoother now, I don't notice it anymore.  

2 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

When I had passenger and full fuel nearing gross I noticed squeaking noise that appeared to come from landing gear leg attachment / behind seats.  I'm in SW which is completely different than LS gear.  Since I rolled my turf runway a lot this spring, much smoother now, I don't notice it anymore.  

Same issue in my CTSW. Went away after this year's annual due to the reoccurring SB for gear legs . Taking off the back plate and possibly retorquing the bolts seemed to fix it 

Again, does not apply to CTLS.. but my experience.

On LS, there is a rubber pad that can move out of place.  Check the area where the gear leg meets the fuselage.  I would agree with Andy about noises in a SW.  I hear lots of noises coming from gear legs and Matco brakes (rattling) when taxiing my SW, especially if I don't have my headset on.

4 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

On LS, there is a rubber pad that can move out of place.  Check the area where the gear leg meets the fuselage.  I would agree with Andy about noises in a SW.  I hear lots of noises coming from gear legs and Matco brakes (rattling) when taxiing my SW, especially if I don't have my headset on.

To check this I will need to remove the bolus tape adhering the gear fairings to the fuselage right?

Thanks!

Took the top leg fairing off to check for the rubber pads between the gear and airframe. Found none in either of the two places I was told it would be, the top of the leg and inside the silver bracket. I’m guessing this caused the noise. Was advised to not fly on it much till fixed. 

D23E257F-A1EB-45E6-B776-5FC3FB541885.jpeg

9699681A-4F68-4BED-9F3C-87881FFAFB34.jpeg

A585B3BC-5CBB-4E80-8AAD-76BC34A48BF0.jpeg

• 1 month later...

So I have had the rubber pads reinstalled and I still have the creaking noise. It only seems to come from the passenger side of the cockpit and it actually sounds like it's right inside the headliner area behind the seats or up where the sight hole is. Does anyone have any idea what I could have up there that could be causing such loud creaking noise? I had another new passenger the other day and she said the noise was so bad she thought the wing was going to rip off while taxiing out, and I have to admit the sounds a little unsettling. 

The noise is normal on a plastic plane and is more pronounced in Sw's vs LS's. Everywhere plastic has been mounted onto or into other plastic parts the chance for creaking noise especially when taxing can be normal and very common. The rougher the taxi surface the more noise. Each plane is an individual and some make more noise than others. You would have to put some type of padding separation between all parts. It isn't a big deal or worth losing any sleep over. having the rubber pad in the landing gear where it inserts into the fuselage on an LS's is needed.

Anim... remove the headliner and have someone push you on bumpy tarmac.

if you haven’t removed the headliner before... it’s easy, but those bolts are easy to strip so take your time and you may want to use a hand tool instead of a battery powered one.

On 7/11/2020 at 2:13 PM, AGLyme said:

Anim... remove the headliner and have someone push you on bumpy tarmac.

if you haven’t removed the headliner before... it’s easy, but those bolts are easy to strip so take your time and you may want to use a hand tool instead of a battery powered one.

I'll give this a try! Hopefully I can find someone strong enough to give me a nice quick push around the ramp. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

"Can't seem to replicate the noise when just pushing it."

Pushing it in has less stress on the air frame parts. So the plastic isn't rubbing or creaking.

Would make sense why I didn't hear it while having my friend push me all around the hangar apron. As soon as we went to fly and taxi out the creaking was back! Almost seems like I mentioned earlier only on the passenger side and up above the rear seat somewhere around / inside the headliner. Is it safe to assume at this point that the noise is just the nature of a composite plane and nothing to worry about? I have about 50 hours on it since the noise began and seem to have no issues.