FUEL TANK REPAIR

Quoting Arian as many as 10% of CT's have fuel tank issues. Fortunately mine had yet to develop an external leak. Instead ridges of fuel had started to condense on the top and leading edges of both wings, likely caused by improper application of tank sealant at the factory.

I discovered that there was a shop here in Sarasota called PLANEMAKERS that specializes in building SEAWINDs. They had all the equipment and expertise, together with input from FLIGHT DESIGN, needed to remove and replace the wings, reseal both tanks and accomplish composite repairs to like new condition in 2 weeks time. They were also finishing a SEAWIND for delivery at the same time. The cost was just above $3,200 incl tax.

Below are pix before and after. I couldn't be more pleased.

R1.jpg

IMG_2599.JPG

Bill, I have the same issue.  Since Arian stated the damage is not structural I opt'd to remove the wings and seal the tanks.  Do you mind letting us in on what the out skin repair entailed?  Did they cut out the skin and replace a section or sand down the area and add fiber and resin back or ????

TIA!

• 2 months later...

Some of these MAY not be fuel leaks, but layup imperfections during the wing construction. When I had my leak it turned brown, got soft and tentacled out. I see no real evidence of any fuel color. Avgas would be greenish. I've seen lots of imperfections in the wing layup process. 

• 3 years later...

This forum is primarily based in the US, but there are a few members from around the world. I think there were only two MC's brought to the US, and maybe only 20 or so built. I heard that several went to Australia or New Zealand. I am pretty sure the EAA give away MC had fuel tank issues, but I'm not sure about the other one in the US. Like I said in the other post get ahold of Airtime Aviation. They will know more about it than anyone here in the states, and they will be your line to the factory.