Choke Control Not Right on CTsw

Isham

With the engine warmed and choke off, when I put slight pressure forward (more choke off) the engine RPM increases about 100-150.  I think the choke must be on a tiny bit all of the time.  How do I adjust this?  Probably cable needs more tension in the off position.

More than likely you are flexing the area where the throttle mounts. Sometimes I have seen a RPM decrease when applying brakes. You can check the choke easy enough by removing the top cowling and looking at the choke valve on the sides of the carbs. There are 2 little post on each carb that are the stops for the choke. When the choke is full on it should be against one post, and when it is full off against the other.

I had the RPM rise issue when pushing the choke lever forward and thought it was due to flexing as the cable didn't seem too tight at the carbs. I didn't find the RPM rise after a flight, but only after start up on cold days. When I added extra slack, the RPM rise went away.  My theory is that there is a small thermal shrinkage in the cable when it is cold which takes up the slack that is there when adjusted in the warm hangar.  An internet calculator computes a 0.017" decrease in a 36" stainless cable with a 50 degree temperature drop.  Might be enough???? Adding some more slack in the choke cable only takes 5 minutes. Then you will know for sure.

• 3 months later...