Missing Course Indicator/Course Deviation Indicator

Johnny

Ok, boys and girls I am stumped.  My D120 was sent for repairs (new board and chip).  All of my settings were lost, but I have managed to reset most everything.  The one thing still missing though, is my Course Indicator and Course Deviation Indicator on the HSI.   Garmin 496 is set to TIS in/NMEA out (Zaon traffic system installed) and seems to be communicating in that "Direct To" gives the distance to waypoint and the bearing, but no pink arrow.  Hate to admit my addiction to the pink arrow, but there it is 😉  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  ~~ Johnny 

On 6/9/2020 at 2:39 PM, johnnyjr said:

Johnny have you tried the Dynon D110/120 forums?  I've found it to be a great resource for this type of stuff.  Usually get something back in a day or 2.

Hey Johnnyjr, 

Yes, I searched those forums ... found things I have already tried.  Also, been talking via phone to Dynon support directly ... to no avail.   Sent Dynon support several emails and got ... crickets ...  probably still victims of Coronacommunism 😉  

Thanks for your reply!

~~ Johnny 

On 6/9/2020 at 6:11 PM, coppercity said:

Likely a serial baud rate setting in the Dynon, it may have a mismatched baud rate with your GPS.  Usually 9600 is the setting.

Yeah, that's been my working theory, so I have been trying all possible combinations to no avail.  Interestingly, the "yellow box and arrow" on the HSI is pointing to the correct bearing, but the friendly pink arrow is AWOL.  Hope I don't have some kinda virus ... I hear there's something going around.  😉 

Thanks for your reply, 

~~ Johnny 

22 hours ago, Philip Welsch said:

If you get it back please post procedure. I lost mine after a "Master Reset" of the 496 - ten years ago. I could not get it back. No other issues between the Dynon and the 496.

Sure Philip ... I will definitely let ya know if I somehow manage to solve the riddle, but I'm not optimistic ... especially after hearing your experience! 😉 

~~ Johnny 

Well, I took the plane up yesterday, still with no Course Indicator.  

When I engaged the autopilot, it would turn towards the course, but then "swim" back and forth searching for it, making pretty steep turns.  Does it in both modes, heading and gps steer. 

I landed and did an east/west/south/north recalibration to no effect.  

I have also queried Dynon.  

Anyone have any idea what this might be? 

On 6/15/2020 at 3:17 PM, coppercity said:

Have you added any components to the system like a GDL 39?  Do you have the Tru Trak/CT Pilot autopilot?  If so when the system has a GPS location what does the AP show, no GPS, No TRK, No pos?

Hey Eric, 

With the help of Dynon Support, I finally got it done.  Had to enter updated values for the MAGINT and MAGINC, then recalibrate the compass.  That got the Tru Trak back on track .  

Then, once I read the instructions 27 times 😉 for setting the 496 output rate, I got the CDI back.  Finally realized I had to push "MENU" while on the 'INTERFACE" page.  Changing the setting from "Fast" to "Normal" made the pink arrow come back to life ... simple! 

Thanks for replying!  

~~ Johnny

On 6/11/2020 at 2:35 PM, Johnny said:

Sure Philip ... I will definitely let ya know if I somehow manage to solve the riddle, but I'm not optimistic ... especially after hearing your experience! 😉 

~~ Johnny 

Hey Philip, 

Got it back!   Once I realized I had to push MENU  while on the INTERFACE page, 

the 496 output rate options come up.  Just changed "Fast" to "Normal" and the pink arrow pops right back up ... so simple!  

~~ Johnny 

On 6/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, Philip Welsch said:

If you get it back please post procedure. I lost mine after a "Master Reset" of the 496 - ten years ago. I could not get it back. No other issues between the Dynon and the 496.