Emergency parts run yesterday

Scrapman1959

Yesterday at 1 pm we had a bearing fail on our under mill oscillator. This is the large shaker pan that all material going through the auto shredder drops on before being transferred to the takeaway conveyor. We located all 4 new bearings near St Louis, which is 7 hours away by car. I called a friend in the business near St Louis and had him send a runner over to get the parts picked up and head north out of town. We needed to be running the next morning, so I checked the weather, and hopped in the CTLS, and departed South from our 1200 strip at our recycling facility where the auto shredder is located. Met the parts runner at KPPQ, and loaded the two X 107 lb bearings on the front right seat,  one of the 64 lb bearings on the right front floor, and the other 64 lb bearing in the left baggage compartment. The weight and balance worked out great and the AC handled normally. Landed back at the yard at 5 40 pm where the maintenance guys were waiting for the bearings. We were shredding on schedule at 4 30 am this morning. CTs can haul freight....:)

Nice story, glad it worked out and the CT could help!

I'm fortunate enough to live only about 70 miles from Aircraft Spruce headquarters.  Fairly often if I need airplane-related parts or accessories, I'll fly to KFFC, walk to ACS (they will pick you up if you call them, but it's a nice 1/2 mile walk), and grab the items.  Saves shipping and gives me a chance to fly (admittedly usually more than shipping).  It's a two hour drive, or a half hour by air.  It's really convenient when you find out on Friday you need a part, and don't want to wait for them to ship it Monday...