Wheel Fairings

Bill3558

I’m thinking about taking off my main wheel fairings. So much easier to inspect gear and adjust tire pressure. Also better for grass. ( I assume) I don’t care about a  3 knot cruise loss. What do you guys do? What’s downside?

CTLSi I got checked out in was pantless.

I'm based on grass, and have left them on year round.  I'm cognizant of freeze up risk to not fly from sloppy slush / snow above freezing temp into lower temps to create an icing freeze up issue, and monitor the pants after flights.  This was the same drill on my Cessna and 20 years never had an issue.  I like that pants keep the crap from flying up onto the airframe and tail.

As far as airing up, yeah it's harder to accomplish with the fairings on, I usually pull the mains off when airing, my SW is easy enough to remove.  This is about every 3 month cycle, I don't let tires drop down much, and air up a tick higher than factory states.  The risk in being a bit overinflated is likely diminished braking performance, not a concern for me.

That said, I don't think there is much downside to taking them off, but also don't see much hassle in keeping them on either.  

43 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

The only downside is CTs look silly without them!  :D

I totally agree.    I prefer to fly without to avoid the minor shake i get from the fairings.   But she doesnt look as pretty. LOL.