Considering Selling our 2014 CTLSi

Andy A

I am considering selling our 2014 CTLSi.  It meets the 2020 ADSB mandate and just had the 5 year rubber replacement done with the annual inspection in January 2020.  Garmin 796 and upgraded Garmin NAV/COM Radio.  Tundra Tires.  It has about 250 hours total time.  I really enjoyed this plane and it served its purpose of getting me back into flying, but I am ready to move on to something with more seats, faster and IFR capable.  I need to take some pictures, but these are just a couple I had on my phone.  I'm thinking about asking $125,000.  I'll probably put it on Barnstormers when I get some more pictures.  It is based at Marion County, SC (KMAO) about 40 miles from North Myrtle Beach, SC.   

1037372107_FDExt.thumb.jpg.a1f0143c683c0f437e4b962b86428de2.jpg136632046_FDInterior.thumb.jpg.cdcc7132c2b14b63cdec8416aeef2186.jpg 

I'd like to have a 2002-2006 Cessna 182, but I think that is more than I am willing to spend.  I might have to settle for a 182RG and upgrade it over time.   150 knots, 700 to 800 lb useful load with full fuel and 12-14 gph fuel burn.  Coming from a Twin Cessna background, I never thought I would want a high wing Cessna.  My father had a Cessna 310 for my entire childhood and I would like to get something that I can keep for a long time.  Over the years life gets in the way and I have gone extended periods of time without flying and I feel a 182 would be a forgiving airplane if that should happen again.  After doing my research I am finding the fuel burn isn't terrible, they are reasonably fast (the RG's are pretty fast), they can fly pretty slow (which I consider safe), they have a large useful load, parts are readily available and it should make a good family traveler for my family of three.  I also think 182s are similar to gold in the fact that they are always in demand and have never been worth nothing.

That is a good Choice, Have you looked at some of the experimentals? RV-10? Glasair Sportsman? 

I am not sure I would ever buy a certified plane. to much bureaucracy for me.. 

Additionally, Im not sure I would give up the BRS. It sure is a comfort to have that option. Granted you can have it installed in a 182,($20k +40 hours if install) 

(Sorry to hijack the thread but was curious about the thought process)

28 minutes ago, Andy A said:

I'd like to have a 2002-2006 Cessna 182, but I think that is more than I am willing to spend.  I might have to settle for a 182RG and upgrade it over time.   150 knots, 700 to 800 lb useful load with full fuel and 12-14 gph fuel burn.  Coming from a Twin Cessna background, I never thought I would want a high wing Cessna.  My father had a Cessna 310 for my entire childhood and I would like to get something that I can keep for a long time.  Over the years life gets in the way and I have gone extended periods of time without flying and I feel a 182 would be a forgiving airplane if that should happen again.  After doing my research I am finding the fuel burn isn't terrible, they are reasonably fast (the RG's are pretty fast), they can fly pretty slow (which I consider safe), they have a large useful load, parts are readily available and it should make a good family traveler for my family of three.  I also think 182s are similar to gold in the fact that they are always in demand and have never been worth nothing.

Andy,  I sent you a message.

I have a few requirements for a new plane.  

1. 4 seats and a moderate useful load.

2. The ability to carry 2 mountain bikes and 2 adults.

3. I would prefer a metal airplane, I know carbon fiber is strong, but I question the long term cosmetic durability.  I've have lots of experience with carbon fiber bikes and paddleboards, and while they are strong, they do have a fragile feel to them and generally the finish starts to show signs of wear in a few years.

4. I enjoyed the BRS in the CTLSi, but its not a big deal to me on my next plane. 

5. I enjoyed the Rotax engine and think its a great engine, but it is difficult to find someone in my area that would work on it.  I also would like to get away from the mandatory 5 year rubber replacement.

6.  Ability to file IFR in IMC conditions.  I'm not looking to fly approaches to minimum, but I would like the ability to climb and descend through could layers.

7.  I'd like a cruising speed of at least 130ish knots, preferably faster.

8.  I like the Cirrus SR22, but I don't want to deal with the 25 grand parachute repack every 10 years. 

9.  I don't want to be limited to long paved runways.  I don't need STOL, but I do like to go into grass strips on occasion. 

I'm OK with Experimental, however, I have pretty limited time with a small child and successful business.  I like to so some minor "tinkering" on my plane, but now I just want something that is reliable and I can get serviced easily at most shops if I need to.  Maybe later in life, I'll go the Experimental route, but now its just easier to go certified.  I was never a big fan of the 182, but I always understood its place in GA.  The older I get, the more sense it makes.    

To your earlier point about gold, true - you can't go wrong with a 182.  I'll toss into the ring for consideration the Maule in either tri-gear, or tailwheel.  Tuff bird with IFR capability, and that side door for loading gear would be a plus.  Downside is fabric covering on the fuse, metal wing though, not a bad compromise.  I'd opt for the tailwheel, that would be fun flier and serve the missions your describing.

Andy, I'm in the same boat.  I bought my CTLS to learn to fly in and it is a great plane.  I now have a change in mission where I need to be able to fly 500 and 800NM at least once a quarter with 3 passengers and occasionally 6.  Also will be starting my IFR training.  I partnered in a Baron 58P that is about an hour away but will need to build twin time so I'm looking at a B55 to acquire and fly locally.  Hate to sell the CTLS but it just doesn't fit my mission any more.

I also partnered in a Kitfox S7 and it should be ready by the end of the year.  That way I have something to fly for local fun.  Headed to Idaho/Stick and Rudder next Thursday for tailwheel  and backcountry training in the kitfox.

I may just keep the CTLS anyway.  Hard choices.

On 6/30/2020 at 9:58 AM, Andy A said:

We are going to be putting our 1978 182RG up for sale soon, might consider a trade.