912 ULS HARD START & ROUGH RUN

bitten192

My 2007 REMOS G3/600 with a 912 ULS (~ 900 hrs) is getting hard to start. After starting. it runs rough for a couple of minutes and then it smooths out and picks up some rpm. That is because it starts on the Left Mag only (with the ignition switch on both mags). I know this because if I switch to the Right Mag on the ignition switch, the engine stops. After a couple of minutes of rough running, the Right Mag starts working and the engine runs fine. Is it time for new ignition modules? How do I diagnosis it? Any ideas? (I’m posting this on REMOS, CT flyer, SPT and ROTAX forums so no need to answer in all places)

9 hours ago, bitten192 said:

My 2007 REMOS G3/600 with a 912 ULS (~ 900 hrs) is getting hard to start. After starting. it runs rough for a couple of minutes and then it smooths out and picks up some rpm. That is because it starts on the Left Mag only (with the ignition switch on both mags). I know this because if I switch to the Right Mag on the ignition switch, the engine stops. After a couple of minutes of rough running, the Right Mag starts working and the engine runs fine. Is it time for new ignition modules? How do I diagnosis it? Any ideas? (I’m posting this on REMOS, CT flyer, SPT and ROTAX forums so no need to answer in all places)

Usually when a CDI fails, it's the starter circuit that fails, and it's hard to start without a thermal change (heating or cooling the CDI) to get the weak connections to work again.

Your case sounds more severe, like the CDI has failed entirely until it heats up enough to work again.  IMO this is a dangerous state, and I would not fly the airplane in that condition -- if the CDI decides to give up the ghost entirely you'll be flying on one ignition only and you might not even know it.

If you send both CDIs to Lockwood, they will test them extensively and tell you exactly what is wrong with them, for (IIRC) $75.  If you need new module(s) they will typically waive the testing fee if you buy from them.  I had to replace both of mine and dealing with them was a good experience for me, besides just the expense.