Windshield crack

Questions about a cracked windshield on a CTSW. There is a crack about 2.5" long running from the outside frame on the co-pilot side up high about where there is the greatest bend. Apparently, it cracked several years ago and was stop drilled. It is holding. The finger nail can pick up a decided ledge along the crack.

Is this repair likely to last indefinitely? Will it allow any water or wind in? (It is a simple, straight crack and looks tight - I'm more talking about what could happen over time.)

What would it cost to replace the windshield?

Hi Jim,

The problem with cracks and high speed and pressured air is nothing is for sure. Your crack could remain stable or it may get worse. Can wind and rain get in, I'm sure under flight. Put a piece of clear tape on it. Yours is the only one I have personally heard of on the front windshield. As for cost you would have to call FD and ask for the wind shield price and an approximate time to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just replaced a windshield in a LS. There is a 2 part adhesive that reuires a special gun to push them out at the same time and mix. I bought it from Daniel when he was here from Germany. It was very expensive and I'm not sure if I will use it any time soon. I will just add it to my collection of expensive one timer tools. If you need it let me know and I will let you borrow it. The windshield is a real pain to change out and requires a lot of prep work. Let me know if you need any assistance.

Hi Tad. Guys like you who have special knowledge are really important members of a forum. I can only imagine how involved it must be to correctly install a CT windshield. I'm sure that people will put a pin in this thread for safekeeping, should they ever need advice on replacing a windshield.

Archived