Stabilator Bearing

DJ Todd B

The only reasons it "might" rotate and cause damage would apply whether you apply Loctite 648 or not. As long as it doesn't rotate when removing or installing the nuts you are good. If it rotates under those conditions, then yes remove it and apply the Loctite 648.

I pulled my stab today, just to look around since I haven't done it in a while.  When I went to get the rod ends off the pin, I discovered that, in fact, the pin was swiveling freely.  Once I got the stab off I checked everything over, and also found my big bracket attach nuts were under the 200 in/lb spec by a bit, so I tightened them up.  I reassembled everything and re-fastened the pin with Loctite 648.  I inspected it first -- it showed no signs of wear from being loose.  When tightening the rod end nuts again I checked and the pin was no longer rotating. 

I have noticed that I run out of nose-down pitch trim at high speeds around 120-125kt.  I have enough trim, but I'm at the stop.  So I lengthened the anti-servo tab rods a half turn to give the tab more travel in the nose down config.

On my test flight everything worked fine and I ran the airplane in a dive to 142kt with no issues.  I did in fact seem to have more trim authority at high speed, maybe even more than I expected to pick up from just a half turn on the rods.  It was a little gusty for 30° flaps landing at minimum speed, so I'll have to wait for a better day to test and see if I lost enough nose-up trim authority to bother me on my slow speed landings of around 48kt at 30° flaps.  I'll let ya'll know.

PS: Thanks to Roger for telling me the cure time for Loctite 648 (15min).  I saw a lot of info on the internet about it, but it was all over the map from 10min to 4 hours.  I'm sure it will continue to cure overnight, but it was plenty strong for its purpose after Roger's 15min suggested time.