Fuel sample sump suddenly slow

Bill3558

Usually when I push in the gascolater I get a strong flow that fills the sample tube quickly.  This morning after fueling the plane I’m getting just a dribble with it pushed all the way in.  Fuel is clean.  Went flying and no issues, fuel pressure steady and good.  Any idea what would cause that?

If you have a standard gascolator, it’s pretty straightforward to pull the bowl and check for “crud” in the bottom that might be blocking the drain. Not that unusual, and should be checked and cleaned at annual regardless. Technically, it may require an LSR-M or A&P to perform, depending on your Maintenance Manual.

Regardless, a change like you described really does need to be tracked down - it could be something more serious.

• 2 months later...

I recently had an airplane I drained the fuel from for a wing inspection, and the flow was good. I cleaned the fuel filter and straightened out some hose issues, and when I put it back together the flow was really slow compared to before. It wound up being the seal on the quick drain valve. Like many the drain valve doesn't really screw in far enough, and the seal swelled just enough to restrict the flow some. It dropped it down from the normal 20 GPM to under 10. I spent to much time looking for what I messed up before I found the issue.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:55 PM, Tom Baker said:

I recently had an airplane I drained the fuel from for a wing inspection, and the flow was good. I cleaned the fuel filter and straightened out some hose issues, and when I put it back together the flow was really slow compared to before. It wound up being the seal on the quick drain valve. Like many the drain valve doesn't really screw in far enough, and the seal swelled just enough to restrict the flow some. It dropped it down from the normal 20 GPM to under 10. I spent to much time looking for what I messed up before I found the issue.

gpm or gph?  No way does mine dump 20 gallons in a minute.