CTsw into Tower

Skunkworks85

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nah, all is obvious now with video footage - he was attempting carrier landing practice maneuvers, and the tail hook didn't snag the wire...  

On the positive side of things, looks like he held right rudder!   Or, is it a new take off departure technique, the extreme side slip prop hanger?

That was painful to watch, dang.

15 minutes ago, AGLyme said:

I’m looking at it on my phone.. so small screen but I wish we could see what the sock was doing... 

Hanging almost limp, slight crosswind from the left, maybe 2-3kt.  Maybe closer to ten as John says, but looks less to me.  He was landing correctly into the wind.

I don't think it's a wind issue, it's a landing technique issue.  As we've all done, he flared too high and dropped it in, really hard.  You can see the gear leg on the right flex, it would not surprise me if he bent it.  He then started losing directional control and firewalled the throttle.  I think he kind of froze up, and kept left rudder in to try to get back on centerline and kept the stick back from his aborted landing.  If you still frame it you can see the nosewheel cocked left from the rudder input (if the sideways flying didn't give it away).

Looks like flaps 0°, maaaaybe 15°.