Amperage spike at full power

gulfportflyer

GOOD GRIEF!  I cannot believe the hidden corrosion under the two larger (outboard) terminals.  I'm surprised that any current was flowing through them.  The small wire center terminals were not too bad.  The outboards bigger terminals were so bad that I could not get it cleaned off with a scotch brite pad.  Ended up using my DOTCO with a scotch brite green wheel.  Put on some diaelectric grease so it should be good to go.  It's too gusty (for me) here in central Kansas for the next few days but as soon as I can I will try it out in the air.  I expect this was my problem.

If I was in charge of Flight Design I think I would be incorporating a few cents worth of diaelectric grease in production to avoid problems like this in the field later. 

I really appreciate this forum and the expert advise from the dedicated members.  We all go through a learning process when we have issues, but the advise here is invaluable for keeping our airplanes from becoming hangar queens.  Thanks.

DC 4 (Dow Corning 4) is a wonderful dielectric grease.

I do want to point out to people who might swing by to read this, and wonder "Why Dielectric Grease? Doesn't that INCREASE resistance?" The answer is yes, IF you didnt tighten them down properly. DC4 is sticky but also really fluid, and it will squeeze right out from between the metal to metal contact.

Never use a conductive grease because of the risk of shorting. Also, never use dielectric grease on any connections that transmit data or radio, it changes the capacitance of the wire.