Sign in to follow this  
WmInce

912 Mechanically Turbo-Charged

That's a clever bit of design there, even though I'm experimental and would consider this if possibly allowable, I'd still avoid it.  Reason being taking advantage of 40 additional HP means more prop up front, which who know what that means to clutch gear box wear, stress on engine case, and a host of other risks.  I think a constant speed prop would be a nice upgrade, why that is not allowable within LSA framework seems kind of short sighted, that would probably provide more performance gain than the weight of this supercharger swinging a fixed blade, at least in cruise which is what most people are judging here.

Over the weekend at a fly-in I saw a Highlander using a 912ULS with an Edge Performance turbo kit.  I asked the owner's friend how much power it makes, he said "I don't think he even knows...he spends all his time tweaking it to try to get it running right."  😆

Turbos are massive heat generators...I am a little leery of turbos on a 912 that already runs at high rpm and can get pretty hot in a Summer climb.  I'd probably rather spend my money on a big bore setup if I were going down the modification path.

26 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

The one in the video is not a turbo charger it is a supercharger. Not sure how much additional heat it would generate.

A lot.  Any time you compress air you generate heat.  There is not a lot of heat difference between superchargers and turbos.  The turbo is just "free" power as it runs off the exhaust gasses.  The supercharger puts drag on the engine via the belt system and eats some of the gains.

I had a supercharged Mustang with no intercooler some years ago.  At the drag strip the difference between the first pass and the second pass was dramatic as all that heat started robbing me of power.  In hindsight it was not a good setup.  :D