CT with Nav and Strobes... Yes please

Been working on installing new Nav/Strobes as the strobe function on one of the stock CT lights has quit.  Decided I wanted independent Nav/Position and Strobes for better visibility due to higher traffic areas I fly in.  Problem is, I couldn't find a set that provided the functionality that I wanted, at a reasonable price, that only had the single bolt mount.  Ended up designing and having cut an adapter bracket that connects to the existing mount point, and allows the new lights to attach to.  After several revisions, a lot of google researching, and a bit of cursing, I came up with what I have now.  Works very well, and the lights are very nice.  Have yet to fly yet due to low clouds, but the mount if very secure.  Need to do a little paint touch up on both the bracket and the CT where the old lights were, but overall, I am thrilled with the results (this is really my first attempt at mechanical work, I am more electrical minded).

Consequently, I have a strobing original CT red light, and a non strobing green CT light if anyone is interested or needs them.

Edit: these are the lights I went with:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aveopowerburst.php

IMG_6046.thumb.jpg.59394b93acd01a1b7c41cb5f9702fc78.jpgIMG_6048.thumb.jpg.9a84b619a1b65e1b6cb854dea9b850f8.jpgIMG_6054.thumb.jpg.1f8b6e52d37d2d6b99c658f3c0f01583.jpgIMG_6058.thumb.jpg.b5045e5f7eb7fc8cad2e021a6c8ffb7e.jpgIMG_6061.thumb.jpg.8dd1320a07f45954bbc1bfef3f5bdbff.jpgIMG_6063.thumb.jpg.65a1ac3e9b441cef5721ea1761dbee58.jpg

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

My factory lights are terrible.  Does anybody know if these lights are a drop-in replacement on a CTSW?

In the first post he said he had to make an adapter. I am also fairly certain you will have to run additional wire, and add a switch to keep the strobe function separate. 

23 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

In the first post he said he had to make an adapter. I am also fairly certain you will have to run additional wire, and add a switch to keep the strobe function separate. 

Bah...I thought Aveo had a CT drop in set at some point in the past that fit without adapters and using the existing wiring.

Quick question I'm sure I could find the answer too in the FARs, but thought I'd ask.  Would these lights with the red/green and rear white position light eliminate the need to the white tail position like?  My tail light is flickering and so is my green nav, would like to kill 2 birds with 1 stone if possible.

4 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Bah...I thought Aveo had a CT drop in set at some point in the past that fit without adapters and using the existing wiring.

Aveo does have the Ultra Embedded series that could work (single bolt attachment) but you would have to run the NAV and Strobes lights on the same switch/wire unless you run a new wire. That is what I am currently doing, until me and the A&P pull the wings later this month.

Edit: link to Aveo Ultra Embedded https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aveoultraembedded.php

33 minutes ago, johnnyjr said:

Quick question I'm sure I could find the answer too in the FARs, but thought I'd ask.  Would these lights with the red/green and rear white position light eliminate the need to the white tail position like?  My tail light is flickering and so is my green nav, would like to kill 2 birds with 1 stone if possible.

I am not 100% sure, because I think the winglet’s slight contour could obstruct the white light from certain angles. I can’t find anywhere that specifically says what/where/how the visibility has to be, but in theory it could work. I have thought about digging further into it to see if I can remove my tail NAV for the same reason.

4 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I will gladly provide the bracket and company that I used to get it cut, if you or anyone else is interested. I had them cut from .25 6061 aluminum. Or I can have a couple of sets done up and I’ll send them to anyone for cost of brackets plus shipping.

Disclaimer: If anyone wants a set, or wants the files, I take 0 (zero, none, zilch) responsibility for any issues. They work for me, but have not been tested in any manner other than I have them installed and they work.

2 hours ago, johnnyjr said:

The stock lights are supposed to blink. If it is on solid that is the start of the failure mode, but they can stay that way for a long time.

15 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

The stock lights are supposed to blink. If it is on solid that is the start of the failure mode, but they can stay that way for a long time.

Tom to make sure I understand correctly.  Are you saying the tail light and both red/green position lights SHOULD blink?  

7 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Yes, original the red, green, and white lights should blink. The pattern is blink, blink, solid.

Yep.  I have one of the NAVs that blinks and that doesn't.  It still works, just stays solid.  The other follows that pattern.  My tail light, rather than blinking though more or less just kind of flickers.  Wires are good, I think it is getting ready to give up the ghost.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:47 PM, garrettgee2001 said:

Aveo does have the Ultra Embedded series that could work (single bolt attachment) but you would have to run the NAV and Strobes lights on the same switch/wire unless you run a new wire. That is what I am currently doing, until me and the A&P pull the wings later this month.

Edit: link to Aveo Ultra Embedded https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/aveoultraembedded.php

Thanks.  Running everything to a single switch would be fine for me.  But $778 is steep compared to the OP's installation.

3 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Thanks.  Running everything to a single switch would be fine for me.  But $778 is steep compared to the OP's installation.

Agreed. They are a little steep for essentially the same light. Can’t find many NAV/strobes with the single bolt install for “cheap”.

36 minutes ago, garrettgee2001 said:

Agreed. They are a little steep for essentially the same light. Can’t find many NAV/strobes with the single bolt install for “cheap”.

I certainly have the skills to make an adapter, and I have plenty of 6061 sheet in my hangar.  Maybe I'll bite the bullet. 

So if you just go with the existing wiring and don't run another one, both strobes and position lights come on from the "Position Light" panel switch?  That would work for me, I can't see a circumstance where I'd want just one or the other operating.

6 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I certainly have the skills to make an adapter, and I have plenty of 6061 sheet in my hangar.  Maybe I'll bite the bullet. 

So if you just go with the existing wiring and don't run another one, both strobes and position lights come on from the "Position Light" panel switch?  That would work for me, I can't see a circumstance where I'd want just one or the other operating.

Yeah.  There are 4 wires on the Aveo Nav/Strobes.  NAV +, Strobe +, GND and Sync.  I tied the Nav+ and Strobe + together and attached connected to existing hot.  GND to existing GND and capped off the sync (for now).  The Sync is not required, but it does keep the strobes in sync with each other.  When we do the next wing pull, I am going to run independent nav/strobes, and connect the sync wires.  But, in short, the NAVs and Strobe + tied together and then existing ground will work perfectly fine.

10 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I do agree, the strobes *should* be synced.  And at least popping the wings out enough to fish a couple of wires through is not that big a deal, so I'd probably just do that at install time.

Andy, just breezing through this topic and not having researched it, are you saying the strobes are required by some reg to be synced?  If so and you can cite the reference, I'd appreciate it.  Or are you expressing a preference?  

7 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

Andy, just breezing through this topic and not having researched it, are you saying the strobes are required by some reg to be synced?  If so and you can cite the reference, I'd appreciate it.  Or are you expressing a preference?  

Preference.  The only requirement is my OCD, not the FAA.  :D

• 2 years later...
On 8/5/2020 at 3:35 PM, garrettgee2001 said:

Yeah.  There are 4 wires on the Aveo Nav/Strobes.  NAV +, Strobe +, GND and Sync.  I tied the Nav+ and Strobe + together and attached connected to existing hot.  GND to existing GND and capped off the sync (for now).  The Sync is not required, but it does keep the strobes in sync with each other.  When we do the next wing pull, I am going to run independent nav/strobes, and connect the sync wires.  But, in short, the NAVs and Strobe + tied together and then existing ground will work perfectly fine.

I’m considering doing the same. Did you use any of the existing switches for the strobes or added a new one?

1 hour ago, DMB said:

I’m considering doing the same. Did you use any of the existing switches for the strobes or added a new one?

The way I originally set it up (I have intentions to change it later to dedicated switches for NAV and Strobe at some point), I used the existing switch and wiring, and tied both the nav and strobe positive wires into the existing NAV wire.

Later, I ran a new set of wires through the wings, one for NAV, one for Strobe, one for ground, and one for sync.  I still have the NAV and Strobe running off of the single switch for now though.

17 hours ago, garrettgee2001 said:

The way I originally set it up (I have intentions to change it later to dedicated switches for NAV and Strobe at some point), I used the existing switch and wiring, and tied both the nav and strobe positive wires into the existing NAV wire.

Later, I ran a new set of wires through the wings, one for NAV, one for Strobe, one for ground, and one for sync.  I still have the NAV and Strobe running off of the single switch for now though.

Thank you. I think I’m going to do the same, although eventually I’d want to be able to have dedicated switches too. Maybe I’ll use the cockpit light switch and move that switch to another location…

I actually replaced mine with the exact same ones. :) But I did not use the single hole attachment, instead I got help drilling new holes and installet a rivet socket for screws (sorry for not knowing the right word in english!). It's not a problem since the material in the wing is thick and sturdy. We used the cables from the old light for the navlight and put in a new one for strobe so it can be operated separately. And a cable for sync too of course. It was not too easy but I could do it on my own even with the wings on. The only problem that I have is the grounding, I think, when the strobe is active the volt-meter dips when strobe flashes. It is a nice addition for better visibility.

A drop in replacement might be an option from the same manufacturer as the factory-mounted: https://thiesen-electronics.com/en/light-sport-aircraft/6-epta-ng.html

IMG_3617.jpeg

Edited by flygpagen
Added link to Thiesen.