Cool(temperature) places to fly in and camp?

ls6pilot

6Y3 North Fox Island, remote isolated island in northern Lake MI, but still just quick hops to local mainland airports.  Very low C-19 rates in low density northern MI.  May have another pilot stop in for camping, but also likely it is just you, and certainly could go remote away from runway.  I'd plan on cell service not being available.

2 minutes ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

6Y3 North Fox Island, remote isolated island in northern Lake MI, but still just quick hops to local mainland airports.  Very low C-19 rates in low density northern MI.  May have another pilot stop in for camping, but also likely it is just you, and certainly could go remote away from runway.  I'd plan on cell service not being available.

I flew into North Fox on Wednesday and stayed 2 nights. Aside from the bugs, it’s practically paradise. It’s a beautiful long grass strip that’s well maintained by volunteers.  As you mentioned, there is no cell service, but there’s a fire ring with plenty of split wood and kindling, porta-potty, and picnic tables. It’s a very short walk to the water, and there are two sit-on-top kayaks that you can use. There are also long trails that you can walk. With coronavirus, it has become a popular destination. There were 10 airplanes parked there on Thursday night. One guy flew in from Missouri in a 170 to get away from people. Didn’t work. Three of them were flown in by furloughed airline pilots, so we heard several “there I was” stories around the campfire. You should obviously consider the fact that you will not be within gliding distance of land and take appropriate precautions. Depending on your equipment, you may not have access to weather info when it’s time to leave. Also bring some deep-woods OFF spray and water (or a filter for lake water). Camping away from the strip isn’t an option. It’s all thick vegetation.  I plan to go back. 

KHLM  Park Township Holland Michigan. They have camp sites on the field. We chose to stay by the plane. Need to know the standard Michigan FBO codes to get into the building. Airport is secluded with little traffic. This airport is a hidden gem.  They have bikes and the beach is 2 miles from the airport. A really good restaurant is a block away. Been back there twice now. Lovely people at the airport. Hangar is a possibility if the weather turns bad. 

IMG_20190902_071250267.jpg

13 hours ago, Skunkworks85 said:

KHLM  Park Township Holland Michigan. They have camp sites on the field. We chose to stay by the plane. Need to know the standard Michigan FBO codes to get into the building. Airport is secluded with little traffic. This airport is a hidden gem.  They have bikes and the beach is 2 miles from the airport. A really good restaurant is a block away. Been back there twice now. Lovely people at the airport. Hangar is a possibility if the weather turns bad. 

IMG_20190902_071250267.jpg

Holland State Park is an easy bike ride away as well. Nice trails and overlooks to view the lake & sunsets. 

I live in South Carolina too (Myrtle Beach).  There is a really cool airport in Brevard, NC that is close to lots of camping options.  The airport is considered private, but they don't mind if you land there.  It is a nice paved runway.  You have to go to their website and fill out a waiver that says you know their landing procedure and you are free to land there.  There is a horse farm on the final approach course and the landing procedure is to not fly directly over it.   The airport is called Transylvania County Airport 3NR3.

http://transylvaniacommunityairport.com/

KHLM  Park Township Holland is scheduled to be removed as a airport.

The taxi ways have been removed, so enjoy it this summer.

Fox island is beautiful.

Two Hearted in the U.P.

Currently My wife and I flew into St Ignace, Hotels within walking distance. Now staying in Houghton for the night.

There are places by the Mackinac Bridge.

We Hotel it for now.

I flew to KHLM At Holland, MI with my wife today, and dismantling of this airport is in progress.  The turf runway is closed, and the taxiways, with the exception of the one leading to the approach end of runway 5, have been torn out. The little terminal building is still there, and bathrooms are available, but everything’s been cleared out, including the bikes. We walked in for lunch and did one of the trails at the park, a longish walk at about 7 miles total, but we figured it’s probably the last time we’ll do it. Too bad. I hate it when this happens.