Fly camping

Brudy

I need some input.
I’m new to this camping game but old-er to life but not retired yet.

Has the gear improved as it seems?

2 or 3 person tent?

What tent? I have looked and researched and am amazed at the LBS of the new tents! But don’t ask me what one I would buy. TMI?

Bed roll or foamy?

What sleeping bag would fit a 6’ 5” guy? 

The weather plays an important part on what gear, It’s Michigan here, if you don’t like the weather just wait it will change.

With that said, rain yep, cooler - say above freezing or at freezing and above, bugs - my wife and I just landed and took off from Hanley MI and the grass hopper slaughter was on. ( oh yeah don’t open the vents until your off the ground) and still had some in side.

Fly camping 

Self inflating blowup mattress works well. REI Would be good people to call and they do have big and tall sleeping bags. Camping gear is much better nowadays than ever before. Have fun.

I will be driving through Grand Rapids next Wednesday enroute to Big Rapids where my family is from. Looking for some cooler temperatures as it is supposed to be in the 90s and very humid in St. Louis next week.

The big problem with fly-in camping in a CT, especially for two people, is weight.  In general camping gear has three desirable elements:

1) Low Cost

2) Low Weight

3) High Comfort

For any piece of gear, you can pick two of the above, but not all three.  :D    If you get low weight, comfortable gear, expect to pay out the nose; if you get cheaper but comfortable gear, it will be very heavy.  If you get cheap and light gear, you will suffer on comfort.  You just have to decide on your priorities.

If you are solo you have more wiggle room, especially if you can fly to your campground with partially-full fuel tanks.  You can then take as much gear as a single human could conceivably need in a CTSW, but maybe not so much in a CTLSi.