Midwest LSA Show

GrassStripFlyBoy

I've been there 3-4 times and half a day is plenty to see everything unless one wants to hit some seminars or go in-depth on something.  I always enjoy seeing Tom Baker, Brett Lawton from Leading Edge Airfoils, and Randy Schlitter from Rans.  I don't have any special interests this time, just an excuse to fly and meet old friends.

Tom - I didn't see on their web site, do you know if they have 91 octane mogas?  I don't recall that they do.

9 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

I've been there 3-4 times and half a day is plenty to see everything unless one wants to hit some seminars or go in-depth on something.  I always enjoy seeing Tom Baker, Brett Lawton from Leading Edge Airfoils, and Randy Schlitter from Rans.  I don't have any special interests this time, just an excuse to fly and meet old friends.

Tom - I didn't see on their web site, do you know if they have 91 octane mogas?  I don't recall that they do.

Typically, Chris (airport manager) will purchase a few(5?) hundred gallons of swift for the event.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:26 AM, Runtoeat said:

Almost forgot about John Vance in Indiana.  Think you might be able to join us John?

I’m thinking about it, Dick. I’ve promised my wife a trip to Mackinac Island, so that might have to take priority. But the show sounds like fun, too. I’ll let you all know. 

3 hours ago, AGLyme said:

Weather is looking much better and do-able.  Meanwhile, Illiniois is on my State's (CT) to avoid and impose a 2 weeks quarantine... Can't win.

I can tell you that Illinois is on the list primarily for the Chicago area,  Southern Il is a far cry from Chicago's positive rate.

Just out of curiosity, How would they enforce the quarantine? And are they actually enforcing it?

I've not seen any formal means of enforcing it, all self imposed.  Until you go to the dentist and they ask if you've been out of state in the past two weeks.  Complete honor system.  Until big gov't starts tracking phone locations and travel patterns, but that won't come until another party is in control down the road...  I'm looking forward to this event, might be the window we can still bounce around the country before everything goes of the rails in Nov.

I hear it’s when one gets it, the inquisition begins.  I’m not concerned about the fines etc, but I am concerned about getting it and then they discover I was In one of two weeks quarantine states.  The right thing to do is to Get tested and quarantine.  I have to adjust 2 weeks of schedule post the trip, that’s the challenge.  

4 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

I've not seen any formal means of enforcing it, all self imposed.  Until you go to the dentist and they ask if you've been out of state in the past two weeks.  Complete honor system.  Until big gov't starts tracking phone locations and travel patterns, but that won't come until another party is in control down the road...  I'm looking forward to this event, might be the window we can still bounce around the country before everything goes of the rails in Nov.

Hard to take these rules seriously if people who impose them don't seem to care in the first place  ...

https://justthenews.com/government/dc-says-john-lewiss-funeral-was-government-activity-attendees-exempt-quarantine

I go back to the line - "what do you get when you mix politics and science?  Answer: POLITICS!"

I continue to be mostly social distant, easy working from home.  I wear a mask when out shopping and such, would like to not wear one - but do my part. 

I really wish we as a nation could have had a real science based plan from the start, I won't outline all the stupidity many states (including MI) and the hypocrisy like that funeral example.  

We're now at the "15 days, no wait - 6 months to flatten the curve" storyline.  Thankfully curve in MI is flat, my kids are back in school, and high school sports will be played state wide.  

Yesterday had news about "models predicting 411k deaths by end of year" sort of crap storyline, with next comment being this means its unsafe to go vote in person.  I'm completely convinced however this mess started it has become exploited for political gain with total disregard of John Q Public.

Back to the thread, weather is back to crappy forecast for Thursday.  I don't rely on forecasts much past three days out, still plan for a Friday arrival, unsure if daytrip or spending one night.  Unless weather is solid decent window, I'm questionable at moment.

Agreed.  
here I am at breakfast - sitting  inside ; ) - at the great skyacres airport (New York) restaurant on a beautiful flying day... I am trying to adjust my schedule to abide by the rules.  If I fly out it‘ll be on weds.  Return Friday.  The new F2 will be there FYI ... 

I am headed to the show; Weds - Thurs, leaving early Friday AM... all weather contingent.  Dew Point/Temps are aligned so there is fog every morning and early AM visibility is lousy at my home field until about 10AM, which is cutting it close for an 8 hours flight + stop.  I am probably leaving this afternoon, will stay somewhere in PA, looking at KLBE (Arnold Palmer Regional)... will check to see if Uber and the hotels are online, will call now.  Hope to see some Flight Designs, meet their owners, and Tom B.

My N# is N521JW, cell is 401-474-9871... have no idea where I will be parked.  Am staying at one of the local hotels.  Take care and fly safely... Andrew

I'm heading out Thur afternoon, nice tailwind forecasted to have me there ~ 5pm local.  Have a pal driving in who will have a car there, we're planning on going out for dinner Thur night, welcome to join us.  I'm staying at Holiday Inn Express.  My cell is 586 876-7071  Will do show primarily on Friday AM then leaving noonish.

Day 1 of the epic trip was A+.  Perfect flying weather, 68 degrees at 4,500’.  
New York airspace was hopping, more commercial flights are flying for sure. The Pennsylvania mountains and fields flying East to west are beautiful.  Had no idea the hill country was that vast.   
Trip suggested I fly into his home field KDID, glad I did.  One can eat off the tarmac.  The culture of the airport management is very customer service oriented.  On downwind the manager actually welcomed me to the airport.  loved that.
Tip scrounged up a hangar and a good hotel here in Indiana County PA.

lastly, the Jimmie Stewart airplane is a working wind vane.  Next time I come here I’ll let the plane guide me re which runway to use... Don’t need no windsock here at KDID... 👍
500 miles tomorrow, will shoot for no stops... love this plane and this great country of ours.  
Thx again Tip for your generous hospitality, really appreciate it...