Replacement tires

Bill3558

The original tires on my CTSW were paper thin. Seemed like several owners were having flats from thorns when parking in the grass, So, I made a preemptive strike and put on Goodyear Custom III's which I liked. When those wore out I went with Desser monster retreads. My feeling is the Dessers are too stiff making them harder to mount and riding rougher. I think you could let all the air out and you couldn't tell by looking!:P  Also, probably should have sent the Dessers back because it took ALOT of weight to balance them. Plus, the Dessers were retreads of two different cores. Probably doesn't make any difference but not my first choice.

The Custom III's are a little pricey. OK, very pricey compared to Desser, but when I replace again I'll go with the Custom III's or similar.

It wouldn't surprise me if most of the responses you get will favor Desser. They are cheap and tougher than the hubs of hell - but not for me. I prefer the softer touch 🛏️, not brute force.🦍

For mains I've been using Aero Classic 6-ply, these are 400x6 non tundra, price is fair enough.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/tailwheeltires7.php?clickkey=68239

For tubes don't order them from Spruce, I ordered one for spare and they are noticeably thinner than the Dresser, regardless of what tire your select there is common agreement this is tube:

https://shop.desser.com/pc_combined_results.asp?search_cat=searchexact~pcpcm.parent_pc_id~1624ACAF131F4174BF9AB192A3C44572&pc_id=1624ACAF131F4174BF9AB192A3C44572

Darrell and I use the same tires, but I have been ordering them from Desser (didn't know Spruce carries them!).  Definitely get the "leakguard" tubes, they are twice as thick and I never had one fail except the one I pinched.  Once I got the alignment correct on my wheels I get a LOT of hours on this tire/tube combo.  I think I'm over 200hrs on one of my tires and it looks like it's got nearly 50% of tread left.

YMMV on tire life, the CTSWs at least have atrocious alignment and camber from the factory.  To get mine correct took nearly 5° of toe (caster) change and 3° on each wheel of camber change to get them straight.  I had to get a CNC machinist to make custom shims -- the Matco wheels did not have enough adjustability to shim out the error!  Before the shims were put in I was getting 30hrs on a set of tires...40hrs if I used 8 ply tires that ride like they are square.  I was changing tires more often than oil.  Literally.

My choice for the 4.00x6 tire is the 6 ply, but there have been QA problems with these tires. I have replaced several that failed before they wear out. Something to do with band separation. They will develop a bulge, and sometimes a cross wise split in the sidewall. They will also require balancing, and sometimes it takes a lot of weight. If you do balance them sometimes you can tell that the QA issue is showing up because they will go out of balance.

The other choice is the 8 ply tire. I have not seen any failures with these, but in my opinion they are too stiff. I generally order both tubes and tires from Desser, because they are cheaper than Spruce. 

5 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

My choice for the 4.00x6 tire is the 6 ply, but there have been QA problems with these tires. I have replaced several that failed before they wear out. Something to do with band separation. They will develop a bulge, and sometimes a cross wise split in the sidewall. They will also require balancing, and sometimes it takes a lot of weight. If you do balance them sometimes you can tell that the QA issue is showing up because they will go out of balance.

The other choice is the 8 ply tire. I have not seen any failures with these, but in my opinion they are too stiff. I generally order both tubes and tires from Desser, because they are cheaper than Spruce. 

I agree with you totally.  I have had a bulge on one of my 6ply tires at about 100hrs, you definitely have to watch for that.  And the 8ply versions are VERY stiff.  They do have flat instead of curved tread area and stiffer sidewalls, so they tend to roll a little straighter and wander less than the 6ply.  But it's not a good trade-off IMO.

I use nothing, but Desser 4.00 x 6  6 ply with no issues. For the 6.00 x 6  6 ply monster tread. I wouldn't worry too much about retreads since. Up to 80% of air craft tires are retreads. keep the proper pressure in tires and make sure the alignment is okay and they should last. You can wear flat spots on tires in 1-2 flights from misusing your brakes at landing.

https://www.tirerecappers.com/tire-recappers-news/old-made-new-airplane-tire-retreading-and-reuse/#:~:text=Nearly all major airlines use retreaded (or “remolded”),retreads. That’s an impressive endorsement for retread tires.

https://www.cessnaflyer.org/product-reviews-company-profiles/item/596-cfa-learns-about-tires-and-retreads-at-desser-tire-rubber-co.html

On 8/10/2020 at 9:33 AM, Roger Lee said:

I use nothing, but Desser 4.00 x 6  6 ply with no issues. For the 6.00 x 6  6 ply monster tread. I wouldn't worry too much about retreads since. Up to 80% of air craft tires are retreads. keep the proper pressure in tires and make sure the alignment is okay and they should last. You can wear flat spots on tires in 1-2 flights from misusing your brakes at landing.

https://www.tirerecappers.com/tire-recappers-news/old-made-new-airplane-tire-retreading-and-reuse/#:~:text=Nearly all major airlines use retreaded (or “remolded”),retreads. That’s an impressive endorsement for retread tires.

https://www.cessnaflyer.org/product-reviews-company-profiles/item/596-cfa-learns-about-tires-and-retreads-at-desser-tire-rubber-co.html

Is it possible to tell from the photos I have taken which tires I have? I photo'ed the nosewheel and the mains. Looking to order a spare tube and tire for each to keep in the plane w me. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Tom's right and you have Matco wheels and brakes. If you want easier to check your wheel advise and an easier way to fill and check tire pressure use a Dremel tool with a cut off blade and trim up the bottom lip of the wheel pant about 1.25" from the bolt indentation.  Put a piece of masking tape across the bottom of the pant as a guide where you want to cut. Then just run the Dremel tool across it. Takes about 5 minutes to do the whole thing. I do all my customers wheel pants. Both mains and the front. Then they are easier for the customer to inspect and check and fill the tires.

14 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Tom's right and you have Matco wheels and brakes. If you want easier to check your wheel advise and an easier way to fill and check tire pressure use a Dremel tool with a cut off blade and trim up the bottom lip of the wheel pant about 1.25" from the bolt indentation.  Put a piece of masking tape across the bottom of the pant as a guide where you want to cut. Then just run the Dremel tool across it. Takes about 5 minutes to do the whole thing. I do all my customers wheel pants. Both mains and the front. Then they are easier for the customer to inspect and check and fill the tires.

"Check your wheel advise" what is that? Or just a typo? Also any pics of the ones you have dremeled to give me a better idea? What do you do about the raw unpainted edge, just run some white paint over it? Easy to keep the line straight with the tape? Thanks as always !

"Check your wheel advise" what is that? Or just a typo? Also any pics of the ones you have Dremeled to give me a better idea? What do you do about the raw unpainted edge, just run some white paint over it? Easy to keep the line straight with the tape?"

I should have proof read better. I meant if you trim the outside edge of the wheel pant up some you can then inspect the wheel easier and check tire pressures because the edge is up out of the way. You don't need anything painted on the edge. I put a piece of tape all the way across the edge I'm going to cut so I can follow a straight line. Then pull the tape off. If you do a nice straight cut you're done. If it isn't a straight cut you may want to touch up a spot or two with a flat file. I bet I've done  more than a hundred of these. It's easy to do and just takes a few minutes. I do all three wheel pants.

23 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

"Check your wheel advise" what is that? Or just a typo? Also any pics of the ones you have Dremeled to give me a better idea? What do you do about the raw unpainted edge, just run some white paint over it? Easy to keep the line straight with the tape?"

I should have proof read better. I meant if you trim the outside edge of the wheel pant up some you can then inspect the wheel easier and check tire pressures because the edge is up out of the way. You don't need anything painted on the edge. I put a piece of tape all the way across the edge I'm going to cut so I can follow a straight line. Then pull the tape off. If you do a nice straight cut you're done. If it isn't a straight cut you may want to touch up a spot or two with a flat file. I bet I've done  more than a hundred of these. It's easy to do and just takes a few minutes. I do all three wheel pants.

Tom since the front Pant requires a lot of work to remove, could I just do this with that one still on the plane? I assume if I'm careful enough I should have no issues? Also do you have a recommendation as to where I can buy the replacement tires and tubes for both my main and front? 

18 minutes ago, Animosity2k said:

Tom since the front Pant requires a lot of work to remove, could I just do this with that one still on the plane? I assume if I'm careful enough I should have no issues? Also do you have a recommendation as to where I can buy the replacement tires and tubes for both my main and front? 

You could trim the pant on the airplane if you are careful. For ordering the tires I would recommend Desser Tire, they will have everything you need. I would match size and brands that you have. Make sure you get tubes with 90° valve stems, and for the nose tire get the heavy tube.

I never remove the wheel pant to trim. Bolted on it is nice an stable and doesn't move during your cut. I place the tape across the edge where I want to cut. That takes about 15-20 seconds. Then I make a smooth all the way across cut along the edge of the tape from end to end. This takes maybe 30-45 seconds. I then pull the tape and if need be a might take a flat file if I have an uneven spot, but this happens only about 20% of the time and the filing only takes about 30 seconds to a minute. This is a really easy job and hard to mess up. Keep the cut 1"  below the  bottom of the indentation where the axle screw goes in. This is to keep good structural strength. If you trimmed way up by the screw itself then there would be no material left to give that area any strength. If you have any questions you can call me.

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2020 at 8:39 PM, Bill3558 said:

My mains are worn thin.  Is there a consensus here for the best tire replacement for a CTLS?  Tried to search the site but didn’t find much. 

My CTSW came with these Aero Classic 4.00x6 - 8 ply tubeless tires. 
Like other have said, they are very stiff and I generally keep them at 35 PSI.

09AA22A4-F33B-483C-B009-5DF9442560B3.jpeg

6 minutes ago, gogogo888 said:

My CTSW came with these Aero Classic 4.00x6 - 8 ply tubeless tires. 
Like other have said, they are very stiff and I generally keep them at 35 PSI.

09AA22A4-F33B-483C-B009-5DF9442560B3.jpeg

That tire look pretty worn from this angle, how many hours are on it?  I'd highly recommend an upgrade from those Marc wheels to the Matco wheels & brakes where you can adjust the wheel alignment.  A lot of the older CTs with the Marc wheels have atrocious alignment and if you wear out an 8-ply tire in less than 300 hours or so your alignment is bad. 

3 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

That tire look pretty worn from this angle, how many hours are on it?  I'd highly recommend an upgrade from those Marc wheels to the Matco wheels & brakes where you can adjust the wheel alignment.  A lot of the older CTs with the Marc wheels have atrocious alignment and if you wear out an 8-ply tire in less than 300 hours or so your alignment is bad. 

I was just thinking about how worn they are, I will take a picture and measure the treads later.

I flew about 400 hours on these tires, not too sure how many hours the previous owner have flown with them.