Condensed 100 hr conditional inspection list

Big Flapper

I'm purchasing a 2008 CTLS and I have read the FD maintenance manual but I'm looking for a checklist that covers all the items that needs to be checked for the 100 hr conditional inspection.

I just want something to check off after an item has been checked/serviced.

Appreciate the help.

Tom

Unless you are a ELSA the operating limitations that go with the airworthiness certificate will stipulate that the aircraft is to be inspected in accordance with the manufacture's maintenance and inspection procedures. That being the case your choice is the inspection checklist in the maintenance manual. 

That is what the checklist in the manual is for. Just print the checklist, it's only 12 pages. Print on both sides and it's only 6 sheets of paper. Remember that for a SLSA there is only one kind of inspection, and that is a Condition Inspection. Unless you can find information to the contrary I would use the annual inspection checklist for the condition inspection. The frequency of the inspection changes depending on how you use the airplane. I was told that in Germany they have the 100 hour and annuals separately for airplanes that fly more than 100 hours per year. That's because the airplanes are taxed for annual inspections and not 100 hour inspections.

1 hour ago, Big Flapper said:

I agree, but all I wanted was an abbreviated list that I could check off and file in the aircraft log book after the inspection.

Have your mechanic print out and fill out the Rotax checklist and the FD checklist. have him annotate anything he touches, tweaks, torques, fixes or changes in the margins of the list. Now you will know he did a complete annual / 100 hr. and didn't leave out anything and you should be putting those checklist in a 3 ring binder. Now you have good documentation to protect yourself from the FAA, the insurance company and lawsuits from wherever they come.

I have never seen a mechanic cover everything on an annual / 100 hr. that was listed in the two checklist. This also means if he has to go to court and he said he did it "IAW" he isn't correct because he surely missed things that were on the list.

This way you have everything to protect yourself and a good platform for resale. Ask Andy and Bill here about their documentation when they came here.

http://flightdesignusa.com/support/resources/

Down towards the bottom of the page for FD. It has the manuals and the checklist inside.

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/support-topmenu/engine-manuals#912-series-engines

The maint manuals are here and the checklist are in the manual so you can print them out.

CTLS MM rev.4.pdf

New CTSW Maint Manual -Nov. 2008 Rev. 6.pdf MML_912 Serie_ED4.pdf

I keep my airframe & engine logs in a three ring binder.  Every time I do a condition inspection, I fill out the checklist, including the cover sheet with the pre/post inspection measurements, and then file it in the binder along with the logs with the text of the logbook entry.  That way there is a record of what was done (logbook entry) and also a record that the inspection conforms to the manufacturer's recommendations (checklist).

After six years my binder is getting pretty full, I need a bigger one.

No issues about ELSA alone, but read the fine print from the DAR. The language used in the new Operating Limitations may be close to the same, but the DAR has some leeway and may put things in you don't like or want. They may put restrictions in like a few here have found out that may make it worse. Search the forum for the comments.

3 hours ago, Big Flapper said:

That's about what I plan to do. I see that you are flying e-lsa, any negative thoughts on changing classification?

I have nothing but good things to say about it, but Roger is right.  Check with your DAR and ask him what limitations he plans to write *before* the inspection.  Once they are written and the new AW cert issued, it's set in stone and you don't want to be stuck with terrible limitations.

I got lucky with a DAR that specialized in E-LSA conversions, and he wrote very generous limitations.  My airplane can even be flown IFR if it's properly equipped and the pilot has the proper ratings.  Make sure you negotiate that kind of thing with your DAR, and don't be afraid to walk away and find another one.