CARB LEAKING

KENNY MCATEE

11 hours ago, KENNY MCATEE said:

912 ULS when i shut engine off right carb pours out gas. I replaced both floats and gasket. any help ?

Look at the holes on the bottom of the carb bowl.  If one of the float guide pins has gotten loose that can leak quite a bit of gas.  It happened to me, I noticed it after shutting down the engine. 

When you say "pours" gas, how much are we talking about?

22 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Look at the holes on the bottom of the carb bowl.  If one of the float guide pins has gotten loose that can leak quite a bit of gas.  It happened to me, I noticed it after shutting down the engine. 

When you say "pours" gas, how much are we talking about?

I had the same issue. On short final though i saw my fuel flow jump up to 10+ gph. landed and shut the valve off immediately on the taxi way. It was a loose float guide pin.

8 hours ago, Skunkworks85 said:

I had the same issue. On short final though i saw my fuel flow jump up to 10+ gph. landed and shut the valve off immediately on the taxi way. It was a loose float guide pin.

BTW, after getting mine fixed I put some epoxy (JB Qwik Weld) over the holes on the bottom, that way if the pins loosen again I will get no leakage or at least just a small seep instead of a super gusher.  It's impressive when it really leaks, I dumped about a pint on the ground in less than a minute.

11 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

BTW, after getting mine fixed I put some spoxy (JB Qwik Weld) over the holes on the bottom, that way if the pins loosen again I will get no leakage or at least just a small seep instead of a super gusher.  It's impressive when it really leaks, I dumped about a pint on the ground in less than a minute.

I did the same thing.  

They did change the hole from completely through the bottom to just a blind hole. Replacing a pin is actually easy. They are just a press fit. You can pressure them back in, but use Loctite 642 on them. It helps seal and keeps them from coming loose. This was a fairly rare occurrence, but did happen.

I had my carbs rebuilt during the 5 year rubber replacement by a well respected Rotax rebuilder and supplier.  One of the pins was not properly seated and came out in flight jamming the float and causing the fuel to flood and spill out the carb.  I was taking a friend up in his first ride in a small plane no less!  The engine started running rough and there was a strong fuel odor coming into the cabin.  The GPH flow went up to roughly 7 so I knew I had a leak.  The left side engine gauges went yellow if I remember correctly.  I kept the rpms up as the shaking was not as bad at higher rpms.  Made an immediate call out and turned back to the airport.  Came in high and fast before chopping to idle and told my passenger I could glide it in as needed.  Landed uneventfully.  Moral of the story.... check your pins and if you do have one come out in flight recognize the symptoms and keep the rpms up to minimize the imbalance and shaking.