Taxiing in gusts

John Lancaster

The idea here is having the flaps up don't generate as much lift potential and keep you planted more firmly, this is relative to facing into the wind.  One could argue some + flaps is better for wind from the rear.  The comments you may have seen here on forum could also be skewed more towards the roll out phase of landing, where pilots often want to retract flaps to get the plane to settle down and allow more braking, which is different than taxiing in gusty conditions when relative wind  may becoming from rear.  The more important thing to keep in mind is the stabilator positioning, especially if taxing with wind from tail - keep it "dive / stick forward" so a gust of wind is less likely to flip you on the nose.

Glenn,

My CT has a listed stall speed of 37 kts with the flaps at 40 degrees. It has a listed stall speed of 43 kts at -6 degrees. You want the flaps up taxing in gusty conditions to keep the plane on the ground and the weight on the wheels.

Darrell,

That would be true headed downwind as will. Flaps down will present an airfoil shape to the tailwind. You want the flaps up to kill the lift as much as possible.

Mike Koerner

I won't theorize on the differences between Bernuillian lift and Newtonian lift (or in this case down force) around rearward wind over an airfoil.  If it's so windy that flap setting is a factor I'll go back to my initial point - which is proper control surface directions are more important.  When it gets to be 30 plus winds you're not really taxing a LSA anymore, you fly the plane right into the hanger...

The only argument I saw for NOT putting your flaps up during gusty conditions After landing  was to save the life of the flap system (motor, etc).  I put the flaps up after landing while on the runway to get as much weight on the wheels as possible.  And yes as Darrell suggested the stick goes forward when the wind is blowing behind me.  
Best (safe) practices in a light plane.