Foot Rest

Al Downs

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 5:14 AM, Al Downs said:

Foot rests for the passenger side can be made again.

I can now make some of the foot rests and if there is enough interest I  will do that. The cost would be $190 plus shipping.

• I’m interested in one  how do I go about in ordering one with you  

One point that I think is important, even though the foot rest doesn't take up much leg room, it does shorten that distance a bit.  You lose maybe 2 inches.

For my buddies with long legs it just won't work even with the seat all the way back.  I end up folding it down and they rest their feet on the pedals. 

okent,

Having passengers rest their feet on the petals is a bit problematic in my CT2k. I don't have rudder trim or an autopilot, so I'm active on the petals all the time.

And for my wife, even with the seat all the way back, holding her feet off the petals was a pain, especially on some of our longer flights across the country.

Before I got one of these fold-down foot rests I tried PVC pipe foot rests, but they would beak when passengers adjusted their butt in the seat.

I also tried a wooden heel rest that slid in underneath the petals, but it's still tiring holding your toes back.

This fold-down foot rest works perfect for us.

Mike Koerner

Mike I totally agree.  The footrest has made a huge difference in my wife's desire to travel in the plane.

With the one I built you can flip up the part that lays on the floor so you can get to the storage area as well.

It will also fold up like a book so it's small enough to store in the hat rack area.

It was a pain to design and put together but worth it.

Happy wife...

Having never flown in a FD, I’m not sure if I need this or not...

Im picking the plane up late next week. This seems like a good idea.  

Could I let you know after a few hours in it?

Also, do you have pictures of the footrest in a plane so I can better imagine what it will look like/ do?

5 hours ago, CTDan said:

Having never flown in a FD, I’m not sure if I need this or not...

Im picking the plane up late next week. This seems like a good idea.  

Could I let you know after a few hours in it?

Also, do you have pictures of the footrest in a plane so I can better imagine what it will look like/ do?

Trust me. You were going to want that foot rest.

Footrest is a no brainer if you bring passengers.  In addition to passenger comfort, if you bring a non pilot passenger, you won’t have to worry about an involuntary kick the pedal by accident during takeoff and landing.  Finally, I like having it there when I pack the plane for travel... if anything falls off the seat, it won’t go under the pedals.

11 hours ago, Duane Jefts said:

Trust me. You were going to want that foot rest.

After seeing the video I think you are correct. 
So now I just need to purchase a plane & I’ll be all set

Ive not seen the plane... but if I get closed on it next week, I believe I’ll have to have the footrest. 

Dan

I'm sure foot rests serve a very useful feature for many.  For those of use who don't have them for one reason or another, I've put wing-walk tape strips on the floor so a person can rest their heels or soles on it and it acts like a non-skid surface which lets passengers relax their legs rather than hold them tense.  Some passengers like to slightly cross their legs to get a little more room for each limb.  For myself, on longer trips on autopilot, I slip out of my shoes and stick my feet between the rudder peddles.  A nice change of pace that keeps my legs from feeling cramped up.

Not knocking foot rests.  Have at them.  Good idea.

I put grip tape on the foot rest and then cut up some floor mat material and stuck it down with velcro.  Not only gives the passenger a little more shoe grip/stability but also makes the install look a bit nicer.  I'll snap some pics today and post.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, Al Downs said:

No problem, just let me know when you decide

I'd like to be added to the list.

PM incoming. ***edit*** it says you can not receive private messages, so just let me know how to proceed.

Dan