Can't seem to land anymore....

Animosity2k

I know the feeling, I struggled with the same thing leading up to my checkride this past March.  Funny thing is that once the pressure of the CR was gone and I was relaxed and flying as PIC my landings improved quickly.  I fall into the rut of bad landing and just tell myself "back to the basics" 1 - fly the IAS, 2 - power for altitude, pitch for speed, 3 (most important to me) transition where I'm looking as the phases of approach change.  Biggest thing I caught myself doing was not making that final visual transition to down the runway.  

I follow The Finer Points of Flying on YouTube, if you search Jason's videos there are a lot of good landing data points to absorb.  He is an amazing CFI!

1 hour ago, johnnyjr said:

I know the feeling, I struggled with the same thing leading up to my checkride this past March.  Funny thing is that once the pressure of the CR was gone and I was relaxed and flying as PIC my landings improved quickly.  I fall into the rut of bad landing and just tell myself "back to the basics" 1 - fly the IAS, 2 - power for altitude, pitch for speed, 3 (most important to me) transition where I'm looking as the phases of approach change.  Biggest thing I caught myself doing was not making that final visual transition to down the runway.  

I follow The Finer Points of Flying on YouTube, if you search Jason's videos there are a lot of good landing data points to absorb.  He is an amazing CFI!

Looking down the runway the entire time vs at the runway right in front of the cowling made all the difference for me. 

16 hours ago, Animosity2k said:

Looking down the runway the entire time vs at the runway right in front of the cowling made all the difference for me. 

If you've found the magic sauce and it works for you, do not change a thing. Just keep doing what you're doing.

One possible problem is that in many planes in the landing attitude, the nose will block the view down the runway. This a screenshot of the view directly ahead in a Cirrus on touchdown:

16831395688_05a4970d60_o.jpg

This may encourage pilots to land fast, since they need to land before their view is blocked. That's why, in general, the recommendation is to look to the side, some distance down the runway and gradually shortening as the plane slows.

A couple sources...

FAA:

7954777752_a63a8b345a.jpg

University of Michigan:

49682971242_53dc5d8f94.jpg

Bill Kershner:

34473529032_c4e28515fb.jpg

Nice video.

I think his "Lindberg Reference" is what I was talking about when I mentioned looking off to the side as the nose comes up. Never heard it referred to as such.

I personally don't use a "second aim point", but that falls under technique and what works best for me.

I'm also blessed with excellent visibility over the nose in my Sky Arrow in the landing attitude:

49077991828_cd3948700e_z.jpg

Here's a video I took of a friend's Mooney. At about 1:15 in is a good example of a certain tree to the right of the runway staying in roughly the same height in the windshield and just getting larger and larger as the approach continues.