Oregon airports with sport fuel

Ed Cesnalis

Ed,

I only know of one airport with mogas - Lebanon which is about 30 miles SE of me. Did I say there were two?

I'll take you up on the lunch. It may not be anytime soon but we'll arrange something. There is an excellent restaurant here, too. The Starduster which is about 200 ft from my house. So I'll extend the same offer

Don't worry about ethanol free gas.  Just use 91-93 octane with ethanol.  It's better for your engine than either 90 octane (detonation risk) or 100LL (lead deposits on valves & gearbox).  The CT fuel system is completely compatible with ethanol, and I have never heard of anybody having an issue with ethanol in a CT.  I read once that in South Africa there are CTs flying on 20% ethanol fuel.

Agree on the ethanol topic until winter season comes and airplane may sit for longer periods.  34 gallons is a lot of fuel, and I like to keep tanks towards the fuller side.  I'll run rec fuel and a bit of 100LL in the winter simply for the stability.  This summer has been 93 plain all the way.

1 hour ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Agree on the ethanol topic until winter season comes and airplane may sit for longer periods.  34 gallons is a lot of fuel, and I like to keep tanks towards the fuller side.  I'll run rec fuel and a bit of 100LL in the winter simply for the stability.  This summer has been 93 plain all the way.

So, in the winter months, if you only have access to 90 octane rec fuel, how would you mix it with 100LL?

IMO, just use 91-93 year round.  My airplane has sat up to 8 weeks with 93 octane in the tanks, it then started and ran fine.  The instability of ethanol-blended fuels may be true from a theoretical standpoint good for a white paper, but for most of us it's something that will just never come up. 

If the airplane sits longer than you're comfortable with, drain the fuel and put it in your car.

I have Swift Fuel drop their 94UL off at my house.  I usually buy 700 gallons at a time.  I have a tank in the truck with quick disconnects for a pump.  I pump it into the truck tank and then into the plane with the same pump and filter, so it gets filtered twice. Sounds like a Bourbon:  twice-filtered, barrel strength. 🤪  I also run it in my race car, since it has a long shelf life.  It works in my old Corvette, too.  I run about 25% 100LL in that because it does not have hardened valve seats.  Burns really clean.  I used to have a yellowish stain along the belly from the exhaust that I would have to remove from time to time.  Not anymore.  It is a little expensive, but it is still cheaper than what is at my airport.

37 minutes ago, 207WF said:

Ethanol can cause problems if you let it sit long enough for the alcohol to separate out.

I had problems, only let it sit 2-3 weeks, but the alcohol attacked my fuel tanks.

Now I run all 100LL.

WF

Here in Oregon they sell 'clear gas'  92 octane, unleaded, ethanol free and really cheap.