Dipstick LEFT and RIGHT

marakii

Thoughts on fuel dipsticks. The left / right dipstick is for the CTSW. The CTLS dipstick has gallons on one side and liters on the other. There was a design change in the tanks between the models, or at least that is what I was told. With the left / right dipsticks the wing on the stick points towards the wingtip, it is also used as a tool to remove the fuel caps. The later CTLS dipsticks are mad in the shape of a "T", so they can't fall into the tank. On the older dipsticks I often install a steel 1/4" bolt and nut near the top of the dipstick incase it falls in the tank, so it can be removed with a magnet, like Jim mentioned above. I think later dipsticks were anodized black to make the fuel show up better. As I mentioned in a post above you can paint the dipstick flat black and the fuel shows fairly well.

I'm surprised these dip sticks don't have a T shape so they can't drop through the tank hole.  I used a wood dip stick on my C-150 for 15 years, they work well but you have to dip / pull / read the level quickly, or the fuel wicks higher reading on the wood.  I never split hairs on fuel level, so a glance at the cabin tubes tells me the info I need on a preflight.

I might make something up in time, weather is finally nice here - trying to fly all I can these days.