Florence is often IFR

Ed Cesnalis

1 hour ago, WmInce said:

Great photo, Ed!

The light is harsh mid day but I like this image because it shows the typical condition of the field.  Here the field is in the sun with a hole for departing yet the 45, downwind base and final are all obscured.  

Its typical to cross the coastal mountains when the field is reporting IFR just to see if you can luck out.

I was mapping the shoreline effect on LORAN signals from Mexico to Canada and landed in North Bend, Oregon one evening after 13 Ifr approaches. Our relief crew was there or we would not have ben so persistent. Fortunately a C-130 carries mucho fuel.  On each approach we could catch a glimpse of landmarks but low clouds and fog are commonplace in the NW.

2 hours ago, Duane Jefts said:

I was mapping the shoreline effect on LORAN signals from Mexico to Canada and landed in North Bend, Oregon one evening after 13 Ifr approaches. Our relief crew was there or we would not have ben so persistent. Fortunately a C-130 carries mucho fuel.  On each approach we could catch a glimpse of landmarks but low clouds and fog are commonplace in the NW.

I now fly with 2 hour reserves