LOOKING AT A 2006 CTSW

CTDan

Hello to all and thank you in advance for any responses.

I've located a low time 2006 CTSW that I'm considering buying.

What would be some of the "Gotchas" I should be on the look for?

Also, who would you recommend for a pre-buy in the NE?

Thank you,

Dan

Curious, are you looking at N242CT?  I recall seeing that airplane around the for sale listings - it has been on the market for a while, face value of ad - it looks like a fine SW to me.

I have an '06, love it.  I view this year range as having many of the desirable design features and good value.

21 hours ago, AGLyme said:

Where are you located Dan ?

I am in Kansas City Mo.

21 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

In that neck of the woods, Flight Design USA for the pre buy.

I'll keep that in mind.

20 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Curious, are you looking at N242CT?  I recall seeing that airplane around the for sale listings - it has been on the market for a while, face value of ad - it looks like a fine SW to me.

I have an '06, love it.  I view this year range as having many of the desirable design features and good value.

We are working out the details on the contract now... It makes me a little nervous that the plane has flown so little.

16 hours ago, Jim Meade said:

A good friend of mine has a 2006 and gets along with it well.  He has about 1,000 hours on it.  Here are the issues he's had with it:

1.  Fretting crank case cost him a new engine.  His was the older crankcase style.

2.  Crack in weld of rudder pedal

3.  Crack in stabilator counterweight arm.

4. Flap switch debonding

5.  The flat pin in the front gear tube wore and had to be replaced.

All the above are not unheard of and there is information on this forum about them.  

Probably want to verify when/if it needs a rubber change and parachute/rocket change.  Tom gives good advice to have FD USA look it over.

Well... I hope I'm fortunate enough to get a good one.

These CT’s are not that complex, so long as you verify the items a pre buy covers, you’ll know it’s the one, or not.  Rotax are not as problematic as other engines in lack of use.  Certainly minor items like fuel bowls and trinket items for sure, but from major risk standpoint, not as much.

Another challenge for new owners is returning the bird to the home airport.  If you need assistance there perhaps a few of us Midwest fellas could ferry it with you.

5 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

These CT’s are not that complex, so long as you verify the items a pre buy covers, you’ll know it’s the one, or not.  Rotax are not as problematic as other engines in lack of use.  Certainly minor items like fuel bowls and trinket items for sure, but from major risk standpoint, not as much.

Another challenge for new owners is returning the bird to the home airport.  If you need assistance there perhaps a few of us Midwest fellas could ferry it with you.

I spoke with someone from Airtime Aviation that has someone that can ferry it to KC & then give me some instruction while I fly him back to OK.... That sounded good to me, but you make a good point & a good plan B option. 

Thank you. 

On 10/7/2020 at 9:14 PM, Jim Meade said:

Previous report was made in good faith but contained several inaccuracies so I redacted it.  My apologies.

Thanks Jim... If you have anything you’d prefer to share offline, let me know & I’ll send you my cel number or email address. 

Dan

6 hours ago, CTDan said:

I spoke with someone from Airtime Aviation that has someone that can ferry it to KC & then give me some instruction while I fly him back to OK.... That sounded good to me, but you make a good point & a good plan B option. 

Often insurance companies will require a few hours of dual, so that's another reason to use Airtime for assistance.  I bought mine through Airtime, they likely are using Karl who is around the forum here a bit - he'll dial you in well. 

4 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Often insurance companies will require a few hours of dual, so that's another reason to use Airtime for assistance.  I bought mine through Airtime, they likely are using Karl who is around the forum here a bit - he'll dial you in well. 

They didn't say the person's name, only that they thought he would be willing to make the trip and could do so on short notice.

I'm waiting on the seller to make some changes to the contract and then I think I'll hire Zone Aviation to train me before I head back to KMKC.

I spoke to the shop that did the last annual and they said the plane was in fantastic condition and that the guy handled service with an open checkbook... I liked the sound of it!!

This seems to be coming together nicely.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, “stepped up” to Light Sport from a Cirrus. 

Welcome to the club! I know you won’t be sorry. 

If you’re mechanically inclined, converting to E-LSA is an option you might consider. Lets you do your own maintenance and modifications, and even your own Annual Condition Inspections with a 2-day course. Highly recommended. 

I’m here & have viewed the plane. 
As I suspected, his idea of “like new” & mine differ. 

The plane is in desperate need of a thorough cleaning, needs a battery, needs the auto-pilot fixed, needs tires, several small paint touch ups, and some cracked vinyl stickers, & all of the other items associated with a 15 year old plane. 

It also seems to have a rigging issue because you can’t add enough right rudder trip to keep from having to add liberal amounts of right rudder through all phases of flight. 

We had agreed on $57500, I’m thinking $52500 or I’ll catch the next commercial flight home. 
Can anyone share their thoughts with me on this?

I don’t want to be a complainer, but I don’t like surprises after I’ve given you all opportunities to tell me everything. 

That said, the seller is 93 & may not have been able to notice the things I have noticed... Either way, I will need to address these items. 

Dan

30 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Depending on what the AP needs the repair can get expensive.

Thank you for the advice Tom  

Could you give me a worst case price to fix the autopilot?

Do you have a suggested purchase price for the plane?

Thanks

Dan

If it were me, and I realize it isn't... I would explain to the Seller that there were mechanical "Surprises" that you did not take into consideration when you agreed to the Price.  

1) Drop the price to exactly where you are comfortable.  And yes, buy a plane ticket home if he doesn't agree.  I suspect he will sell at the revised price as long as you are respectful and logical... which goes a long way with that generation (any generation really).

2) Fly to Tom Baker's airport and hand Tom the keys and a blank check.  He knows what is safe vs a luxury (i.e. you can choose to fix it or not).  There are only a handful of people in North America who have the experience with CT's as Tom has... you could always head west to visit Roger in AZ, or FD USA in CT too... but I think Tom resides near you.