LOOKING AT A 2006 CTSW

CTDan

I made the purchase, & I’ve flown it home. I’ve gone back & forth with my decision to buy the plane... It definitely needs some work, but I think I can end up with a pretty nice plane when it’s all said & done. 

I stopped at KOLY & met Tom & his son... Both are very nice, &  very patient with those that now less... thank you @Tom Baker for your hospitality. 

If I can get this need for constant right rudder Figured out, and if I can get the plane down to Tom for a thorough going through, I think I’ll have something solid... that said, I’m pretty sure I’ll have more in it than I can sell it for, but no one said flying anything would be cheap!

Here it is, partially cleaned up & put to bed.

Thank you all for the help & advice. 

Dan

4EC04932-46DE-4F1E-B22E-2FDD643EFE5A.jpeg

1 hour ago, CTDan said:

If I can get this need for constant right rudder Figured out,

Ive had that issue for 12 years.  2006 CTSW.   Goes away with the front wheel pants off which indicates the pants are the cause.   So, with the pants on and having to press right rudder, ive found that if i press hard enough, the air flow switches over to the other side and thus either stays balanced or i might even need a light left rudder input.  Perhaps not the best solution but that has been my only option :)     Oh and added info... the need for right rudder is usually in cruise flight roughly 100+kts.   Once im at 90kts i dont have the need for right rudder.         Congrats on the purchase!!

On 10/23/2020 at 8:22 AM, Tip said:

I fly into Rostraver frequently and have never seen this plane tied down outside. 

He had it in a hangar... F-8. 

The plane only flew 7 hours in the last 2 years, so I can understand that you haven’t seen it. 

5 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Congrats on the purchase, looks like a nice clean airplane.  Other than the rudder issue, how does it fly?

I agree, if you can work out some of the minor issues you'll have a very nice airplane. 

It's a bit squirrely compared to what I'm used to, and not as comfortable to fly cross-country as my Cirrus was, but I can see this being a whole lot of fun once Tom gets through putting his magic touch on it.

It needs a bit more pitch in the prop to bring the RPM's down, but the engine seems to run very well with no issues.

When I took off from PA. I only had one landing in the plane, but it was a good one.

Then when I arrived in Cincinnati and had to deal with the gusty winds in front of that storm, it was a bit of a handful and not nearly as good as my first landing.

My next landing at KOLY wasn't the prettiest, but I had started to figure it out. Then my second landing at KOLY (now I know where the flap reset switch is - thanks for not making fun of me Tom), was very nice with only the slightest jiggle on touchdown... 

When I arrived at KMKC I had another nice landing and started to understand how good the short field performance can be with this plane... which is part of the reason I started looking at FD to begin with.

Hopefully the weather will break soon and I can go practice some touch-n-go landings to get more proficient. 3EX is close to me and only 2000 feet... it should be a good place to start shortening up my landing distances.

After that, I may give grass field landing a try.

Dan

I have a paint restoration person coming Wednesday to give it a thorough polish, and I scrubbed the cabin and baggage area last night.

I used a MyGoFlight mount for my iPad to mount it up high but still pretty visible. I'll try to get some pics of it soon, but I think I'll like the position a lot better than trying to hold it the way I did on the flight home.

The plane came with a Garmin 760 that I'd like to put in the panel to replace the aging 496. 

The avionics are a bit dated, but in general work very well, and I think I can put off updating most of it until I've recovered from the purchase and surprise issues.

Evidently the site only allows so many "reactions" per day, so I'll be back to "like" the other posts as soon as I'm allowed.

Thank you all for the help and support.

Dan

6 minutes ago, CTDan said:

The avionics are a bit dated, but in general work very well, and I think I can put off updating most of it until I've recovered from the purchase and surprise issues.

CTDan...

Just IMO, I would not spend a lot of money updating the panel.  My airplane came with just a Dynon D-100 EFIS and the small analog dial engine gauges...very minimalist.  I was dreaming of updating my cockpit to the latest Skyview or G3X setup, and having all of the wiz-bang gadgets.  Then one day I was thinking about it again, and I realized it was a waste of money.  There was nothing I could do with a "modern" 3GX that I can't do with my D-100, autopilot, and iPad.  Six years after buying, I have flown all over the country, in some pretty marginal conditions, and I have never said to myself "if I only had X in the airplane, then I would be able to do Y".  These are VFR airplanes, after all.

Now, I think it looks like you are training for an airline job, and if that's the case you might want to at least be able to shoot IFR approaches.  If it were me and I wanted to do that in a way that mimics a legal IFR platform, instead of updating to prettier screens, I'd get a used Garmin 430 or similar to fly approaches with.

YMMV, and you might have different needs and a bigger wallet than I do.  But the CT series is super capable for VFR work with just a basic EFIS, and the D100/D120 combo is well proven and pretty bullet-proof.  Don't think you need to "modernize", at least not to get nicer screens and a few "whiz-bang" features. 

28 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

CTDan...

Just IMO, I would not spend a lot of money updating the panel.  My airplane came with just a Dynon D-100 EFIS and the small analog dial engine gauges...very minimalist.  I was dreaming of updating my cockpit to the latest Skyview or G3X setup, and having all of the wiz-bang gadgets.  Then one day I was thinking about it again, and I realized it was a waste of money.  There was nothing I could do with a "modern" 3GX that I can't do with my D-100, autopilot, and iPad.  Six years after buying, I have flown all over the country, in some pretty marginal conditions, and I have never said to myself "if I only had X in the airplane, then I would be able to do Y".  These are VFR airplanes, after all.

Now, I think it looks like you are training for an airline job, and if that's the case you might want to at least be able to shoot IFR approaches.  If it were me and I wanted to do that in a way that mimics a legal IFR platform, instead of updating to prettier screens, I'd get a used Garmin 430 or similar to fly approaches with.

YMMV, and you might have different needs and a bigger wallet than I do.  But the CT series is super capable for VFR work with just a basic EFIS, and the D100/D120 combo is well proven and pretty bullet-proof.  Don't think you need to "modernize", at least not to get nicer screens and a few "whiz-bang" features. 

@CTDan He is spot on.

I'm training for an airline job also and thought about upgrading my 496 to Garmin 375.

They only reason holding me back is because our plane is VFR only, the pilot tube has no drain hole, we will lose airspeed if any water gets in. In addition, the top of the cowling where the air gets filtered has a giant opening, rain getting in would be a big pronlem.

I opted to just fly VFR to built hours in my plane and keep my IFR skill up with xplane, pilotedge(Real ATC) and realsimgear Garmin 430. I get to fly in and out of Bravo and practice SIDs and STARs which not too many GA get to do.

Let me know if you have a better solution.

16 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

CTDan...

I think you're right about updating the panel... unless the swap from the 496 to the 760 is an easy inexpensive swap, I'll probably do nothing.

I am not training for the airlines, and I do have an arrow or a seminole that I can rent for IFR cross country needs. 

My wallet size.... well.... I'm not rich by any standards, but I'm able to fly some planes and live comfortably, so I guess I can't complain !

Dan

34 minutes ago, gogogo888 said:

Let me know if you have a better solution.

Unfortunately I don't...

I'm not building time for an airline, but I do still need 300 hours to qualify for my ATP.... I am going for a type rating soon, but that's a whole different set of circumstances.

(I like check-rides better than bi-annual flight reviews).

6 minutes ago, gogogo888 said:

Interesting, so you do IFR checkride instead of BFR?

I am generally up to date on my IFR currency, but I still fly with an instructor at least every 6 months. 
I keep notes on things I’m not comfortable with & we work on those as well as the IPC’s. 

In 2016 I decided I would get my commercial when BFR was due... In 2018 I decided I would get my multi add on when it was due. 
The ATP is next on my list... 

I find the more I know, the more I know I don’t know. Training is important to me, & I like the challenge. 

1 minute ago, CTDan said:

n 2016 I decided I would get my commercial when BFR was due... In 2018 I decided I would get my multi add on when it was due. 
The ATP is next on my list... 

Ahhh, I see, so when BFR is due, you get a new rating instead.

Thats a good idea, my BFR is due in 12 month, I might get my multi addon.

Just now, gogogo888 said:

Ahhh, I see, so when BFR is due, you get a new rating instead.

Thats a good idea, my BFR is due in 12 month, I might get my multi addon.

I turned 50 this year, so my learning curve has flattened a bit... I had a scare in 2005 that made me stop flying until I had the time to devote to being safe. 
I made a deal with myself that I could keep flying as long as I continued to train, learn, & continued to stay proficient (not just current). 

The multi is a great add-on... 

Not sure if you’re already commercial & instrument rated, but you can add the multi to those ratings by simply adding a single engine precision approach to the checkride. (At least I think that was the only difference). 

I feel like I did them in the correct order because I didn’t have to perform the commercial maneuvers in the twin... it carried over, & the only additional emphasis was on the instrument flying. 

11 minutes ago, CTDan said:

The multi is a great add-on... 

Not sure if you’re already commercial & instrument rated, but you can add the multi to those ratings by simply adding a single engine precision approach to the checkride. (At least I think that was the only difference). 

I feel like I did them in the correct order because I didn’t have to perform the commercial maneuvers in the twin... it carried over, & the only additional emphasis was on the instrument flying. 

I have commercial & instrument.

I'm instrument proficient but not current, not sure if I can get instrument rated in the multi add on or if i have to get current first.

Yes, you did them in the correct order.

22 minutes ago, CTDan said:

I turned 50 this year, so my learning curve has flattened a bit... I had a scare in 2005 that made me stop flying until I had the time to devote to being safe. 
I made a deal with myself that I could keep flying as long as I continued to train, learn, & continued to stay proficient (not just current). 

The nice thing about our SW is that we are VFR only, so safety level goes up tremendously.

8 hours ago, gogogo888 said:

I have commercial & instrument.

I'm instrument proficient but not current, not sure if I can get instrument rated in the multi add on or if i have to get current first.

Yes, you did them in the correct order.

You could ask for an IPC in one of the multi lessons & make it work. 

*** edit *** 
You won’t be able to do a IPC during a lesson because you can’t be PIC until you have the multi-rating. 
I believe you could still train for the instrument checkride though, & then the checkride would qualify for the IPC. 

If I’m wrong on this I’m sure someone can chime in, but your instructor or DPE should be able to help you through this pretty easily. 

16 hours ago, CTDan said:

I think you're right about updating the panel... unless the swap from the 496 to the 760 is an easy inexpensive swap, I'll probably do nothing.

I am not training for the airlines, and I do have an arrow or a seminole that I can rent for IFR cross country needs. 

Ah, I think I confused you with gogo, sorry.

The 496 is one area I would upgrade.  It's just old and expensive for updates and the rocker switch interface is a huge pain.  I upgraded to an iFly 740b, but while the price is right I don't think it's a stellar GPS.  A 760 would be a fine upgrade.

55 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Ah, I think I confused you with gogo, sorry.

The 496 is one area I would upgrade.  It's just old and expensive for updates and the rocker switch interface is a huge pain.  I upgraded to an iFly 740b, but while the price is right I don't think it's a stellar GPS.  A 760 would be a fine upgrade.

The plane came with a 795 that he had mounted on the bar... I'm not sure how to go about moving it to the panel, but I'd like to look into it.

I have found the base plate, but I need to look at the panel closer to see how to make it fit.

Another upgrade I might look into is a GTX327.

It bums me out because I had one when I upgraded to a 345 in my Cirrus. 

I think I sold it for $100...

My avionics shop treats me pretty good, so I'll see what he can do on both fronts.