LOOKING AT A 2006 CTSW

CTDan

Dan - Does your new plane have ads-b in and out? If not, there are many ways to do that but if you go the transponder route a 327 won't work. I used a GTX-345 and display the "in" with an Aera 660. A 796 would have been better and now wish I had done that so I could see the traffic better.

1 hour ago, sandpiper said:

Dan - Does your new plane have ads-b in and out? If not, there are many ways to do that but if you go the transponder route a 327 won't work. I used a GTX-345 and display the "in" with an Aera 660. A 796 would have been better and now wish I had done that so I could see the traffic better.

It has ADSB out through the position light.

I have ADSB in through a Stratus.

A 345 would be a better choice... I had that in my Cirrus and was very happy with the way it performed, but since the ADSB is already taken care of, I thought I could probably find a 327 pretty reasonably priced.

On the GPS: The seller told me the additional GPS was a 760... but it's either a 795 or a 796.

Dan

I think getting any rating above the one you really need is a BAD idea.  The reason it is a BAD idea is that if you have an issue with the FAA, they will use your type rating as a factor in how they decide to deal with you.  The higher the rating, the higher standard you will be held to.  This is in one of their Orders.  The FSDOs may not admit to this, but it is a fact.  In stead of getting an ATP which you'll never use, take upset training, simulator training at one of the recognized schools and so forth.  Your skill will be documents for insurance purposes but won't be held against you by the FAA.  I would be reluctant to get an instructor rating if you didn't intend to use it.  It is nice to have an "I love me" wall with all the paper on it, but it doesn't do you any good and can do harm.

5 minutes ago, Jim Meade said:

I think getting any rating above the one you really need is a BAD idea.  The reason it is a BAD idea is that if you have an issue with the FAA, they will use your type rating as a factor in how they decide to deal with you.  The higher the rating, the higher standard you will be held to.  This is in one of their Orders.  The FSDOs may not admit to this, but it is a fact.  In stead of getting an ATP which you'll never use, take upset training, simulator training at one of the recognized schools and so forth.  Your skill will be documents for insurance purposes but won't be held against you by the FAA.  I would be reluctant to get an instructor rating if you didn't intend to use it.  It is nice to have an "I love me" wall with all the paper on it, but it doesn't do you any good and can do harm.

That's the first time I've heard of this, but it makes sense...

I really didn't need the commercial either, but it was a fun rating to get.

My thought on getting the ATP was that it might make the insurance cheaper....

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2020 at 1:36 PM, Tom Baker said:

I don't remember what the deal was, but don't think the paint was an option to use in place of the blanket.

So I thought I would update. I got Dan's airplane up in pretty good shape now as he posted in another thread. On the subject of the firewall I spoke with Arian, and he suggested the paint option, and that is what I went with. When ask for specifics he referred me to Airtime Aviation, so I gave Tom a call. I ordered a gallon kit of fire proof coating, and followed Tom's instructions for application. I didn't snap any after pictures, but it looked nice with a egg shell finish. It was a fairly big job with removing everything from the firewall for coating. I applied three coats that were as heavy as I thought I could get by with. The finish had to dry between coats, so it was a two day process. I used a combination of a brush and a 2-3" roller. I have quite a bit of material left that I could divide and sell if there was interest. Be advised that if you have a blanket installed now you will have a bunch of clean up work to do before this can be applied.