Flaps acting up?

Roger Lee

Hi All,

Just an FYI.

If you are having a flap issue, such as you set the flaps at -6 and they go to some other setting then always try to reprogram the flaps first with the 2 switches before you jump in and start replacing things. A reprogramming doesn't cost any money for parts and it only takes a few minutes. The potentiometer in the back of the luggage compartment may have lost it's recognized position set point. A simple reprogram may take care of this. If it doesn't fix the problem then you may need a new potentiometer around $35 and if that isn't the problem then it could be the flap mother board. The cost of the mother board is a little more attention getting around $900. Don't panic it usually isn't the mother board, but just a reprogramming or the potentiometer.

Hi Roger. Regarding the potentiometer - does this have contacts that sweep inside of it? I'm wondering if a squirt of electonics contact cleaner (carbon tet) occasionally might prevent it from acting up or might get one working that is acting up? It's not the cost of the Pot I'm thinking about. Just thinking if one can get it to work without removing, it may be best?

Hi Dick,

It is a sealed electronic device. It is about 1" long and 1" round and most are blue. It is in the baggage compartment up by the flap actuator rod towards the bottom. It operates between 0-10 ohms. 15 flaps is 5 ohm when you set it up. It is either bad or good and nothing you can do to change its function or when it goes bad.

Hi Jim,

It's best to be around 60 knots when you go to 30-40 flaps. Any thing above that and there is a lot of pressure on the flaps when lowering. If you are above that you may see your flaps flash at you until you get the speed down so the flaps will go all the way down. If you are at 60 knots and go to 30-40 your speed will usually follow down to 50 knots. This ia a fairly good speed for approach at those flaps settings. Coming in at 45 knots can be done, but if one little thing changes i.e. you make a mistake, the air speed gauge is wrong or the wind shifts then you may be in a lot of trouble at too close to a stall and no recovery altitude. 50 knots is my lowest approach speed. Depending on conditions of that flight that always keeps me at least 5-10 knots above stall and safe and without any surprises. If you keep dragging it in at 45 all the time then one day whether it be sooner or later your bound to have a landing gear issue. The closer to the edge you play the better the chance of having to tell everyone about the bent gear or busted nose. You have a little wiggle room at 50+ knots and no room for errors or problem solving going too slow.

Sorry for not being clear. If I select flaps 40 and my airspeed is above about 51-52 knots, the display just blinks and the flaps don't extend all the way. If I pitch up and get the airspeed down around 50, the flaps fully extend. I would like them to smartly extend at any speed below 60 knots.

Hi Jim,

It is an air pressure against the flaps issue for sure. Could it be that your air speed gauge is just a tad high? They should go down to 30 or 40 at 60 knots. Much higher than that they will blink at you until you slow down and they extend all the way. I don't know of a way to get them to work any better other than to reduce air speed and let them extend.

what about increasing the current with the little ajustment screw on the ''mother board'' (on the firewall)

here is a picture of the system the potentiometer is at the yellow arrow and the ajustment screw at the green arrow

post-112-018415600 1302223400_thumb.jpg

Archived