BRS Chute Repack

Bill3558

This has been discussed in the past on this forum. If I remember correctly, you can fly the plane to the nearest facility that is authorized to remove the BRS, then home again. When it is ready to be reinstalled you can fly back to have the work done. And, as I recall, there is paperwork required for these flights without the BRS to include new weight and balance.

Of course, if you are ELS-A, these rules don't apply but amodified W & B may be prudent.

If I have misrepresented anything here I hope somebody will correct me. 

Is there any way, if you’re ELSA, you can know whether the chute is in need of repack?

In other words, I wouldn’t replace a great running engine because it hit TBO.... If I could be assured the chute & rocket were in good condition, I’d be tempted to delay that maintenance too. 

21 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Going ELSA does not exempt you from time limited parts replacement or maint. You need to read your entire new operating limitations to see what it requires. They are not all the same.

I’d like to be sure that it is clear, especially since I am new to the forum... I have no interest in flying an unsafe aircraft & wouldn’t want to portray myself as anything less than a very cautious pilot  

That said, thank you for the response. I’ve spent my flying time part 91 normal airplane category, & I really don’t know that much about slsa or elsa regulations. 
Ive skimmed the FAR/AIM, but the differences are not readily apparent.... probably because I’m not sure what I’m looking for. 

Please feel free to school me on the etiquette of the forum, (as well as anything else, I didn’t want to hijack the thread), but I’d sure like any direction towards a recap of the difference between the flying I’m used to & LSA flying. 

For instance... I know I can’t fly IFR, but I’m a bit confused about night flight?

Again, I’m sorry for the hijack & would only ask for directions to the right area. 
Thanks 

Dan

Dan,  when dealing with SLSA, ELSA, or any experimental for that matter, operating limitations take on additional meaning. You still have the same limitations from a pilot standpoint when flying the airplane, oil temp, oil pressure, ect.. There is a document attached to the airworthiness certificate that states operational requirements for the aircraft. It covers things like where the airplane can be flown, maintenance intervals. For ELSA it may or may not permit IFR or night flight, but if it is permitted it will give a reference to the required instrumentation. So if you are dealing with a ELSA or converting one to ELSA you need to closely look at the language in the operating limitations to make sure it suits your needs.

11 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Dan,  when dealing with SLSA, ELSA, or any experimental for that matter, operating limitations take on additional meaning. You still have the same limitations from a pilot standpoint when flying the airplane, oil temp, oil pressure, ect.. There is a document attached to the airworthiness certificate that states operational requirements for the aircraft. It covers things like where the airplane can be flown, maintenance intervals. For ELSA it may or may not permit IFR or night flight, but if it is permitted it will give a reference to the required instrumentation. So if you are dealing with a ELSA or converting one to ELSA you need to closely look at the language in the operating limitations to make sure it suits your needs.

Well... I’m supposed to pick up my, new to me, CTSW Oct 22... 

Pending any unforeseen issues, I’ll be flying it home over the long weekend. 

Im pretty pumped. 

20 hours ago, AGLyme said:

looking forward to your pics and stories... how long is the flight?  Have fun.

It looks like it will be about 7.5 hours of flight if I don't deviate a lot.

If the weather is good I may extend the trip a bit.

If the weather is bad.... well then I will have to extend the trip!

I'll do my best to get a few pics along the way and post them up.

Dan