Battery Change

GrassStripFlyBoy

Installed a new PC310 battery tonight, old one was from 2013, not a bad deal for $190.  My old Cessna seemed to make ~4 years on a Gil.  I was only half way through installing the upper cowl before I recalled I had not connected the landing light wires - that's progress, usually I get all the fasteners in...  Maybe one of these times I'll remember to do that before placing the upper cowl on. 

I probably could have ran it longer if I wanted to keep it on the charger, I noticed about a month ago a slower prop spin / harder starting event, placed on the charger and was getting by since then.  Had it off the charger for 3 days and last I flew on Sunday it was back to that slow rev / almost no start situation. 

Forgetting to connect the landing light, know this way too well.....  

I replaced my battery about a year ago (PC310 as well), I keep the plane outside with full Bruce covers  (Wings, cowl, cockpit and tail), I have a locked job box for tools, oils, ladder, etc.. chained to my tie down point and installed a solar battery charger (Battery Tender brand $40 on Amazon).  Keeps the battery topped off, have a float/maint mode and would expect that to increase the battery life.  

Background, I'm an avid boater and figured out quickly that a well maintained battery will last a very long time.  I installed and have ran a 440 ah battery bank in the boat running off a Xantrex multi bank changer for the past 14 years.  the first battery bank lasted be well over 10 year with harsh use (deep discharges during the weekends).  I credit a good charger/maintainer with the prolonged life (warranty was 5 years, most saw 7 years, I got an extra 3 out of them)

The moral is, keep them maintained and extend your return on the investment.

I run the Odyssey charger/maintainer, but not a fan of keeping plugged in 100% of the time.  I have been thinking of plugging this into a timer and only give it :15 on time a day.  I see no reason to constantly run the charger, but rather nudge them keeping near the peak state.  A good battery should not need constant maintenance.

I've done a lot of research on charging/cycling batteries (spent 7 years in the marine industry working on 12 volt systems). Everyone has their pref and not all chargers are created equal.   Best case for a battery is to be brought up to a full charge and then held in a float state (proper voltage, low amperage), most maintainers/charges do this today.  If you do want to use a timer, it's best to insure you allow enough time for the battery to reach full change and stay in a float mode for a while.  I'd up the cycle time to 6 hours just to make sure it goes through a full charge cycle.  

My 2 cents YMMV.....

My plane is 13 years old. Unless I am on an overnight trip (rarely), my plane is always on a float charger.

I replaced the first battery at nine years. Why? Just because. Plus, several on this forum were having to replace theirs at seven or fewer years.I keep that original battery as a spare. Charge it every six months or so.

When I got my new battery, an Odyessey, I bought one of their chargers. Why? Again, just because.

So, battery on a float charger for 13 years and no problems. I am a fan.

% is relative, my old battery was registering ~ 12.8V when I'd turn on master, and would start within a second or two, I'd hold the key a tiny bit to ensure it would not stop before engine was ready to disengage the starter.  My new battery registered 12.9V, went out this weekend and the engine was running in a fraction of a second, just touch the key and let go just as quick.

I'd not push battery life for this very reason, nice to tap that starter and have it running - think about life of starter relative to this, kickback, or being away from home and having a no go event.

I was asking because today I took out my battery and it was maxing out at 12.6 , which is about 95% and it would go into float mode right away without charging any further. ... I am wondering at what point does one start to think about replacing it , especially since cold weather mid upon us -:)