RPM Won't exceed 5,000

Animosity2k

So today I finally got back in the seat w/ my old CFI to get over my landing issues I was having recently. I noticed that when we were taking off the RPM would not advance past 5,000 on climbout. I'm almost certain in the past I had always had around 5,200 RPM does that sound more correct? It was about 50* out, engine oil was at 125*F before taxi or runup. 

Once we did a lap or two in the pattern the RPM got up to like 5,100 at one point, but I don't think we ever passed that. I also had this same issue a few weeks back when I was out with a friend, only around 4,900RPM on climbout, and after 15 minutes of flying we were only then able to hit 5,500 RPM. Is this normal? I'm at 31 hours on AVGas and haven't had an oil change. I'm scheduled next week to get one. Could running a few hours past the recommended interval cause an issue like this? I really dislike seeing the extra power on climbout.

Thanks!

I normally see 5400-5500 on my rollout and then 5100-5200 during climb out and around 5600 when straight and level at full throttle. Don’t remember ever having to struggle with rpm going over 5000  except one time when I had some debris in one of my carb bowls and couldn’t get up past low 4000s.

Anim,  i used to experience what you are experiencing now, sometimes lower RPM's and sometimes different RPM's on different days - not by much, but def different.  My prop pitch was decreased recently providing more RPM's, similar to Warmi's figures above, and more speed.  I have about 6 hours since the prop re-pitch and taking off and cruise are much faster.  I picked up at least 4 knots, and, a faster climbout.  When you bring the plane in for the oil change, have them take a look at the pitch.  

38 minutes ago, AGLyme said:

Anim,  i used to experience what you are experiencing now, sometimes lower RPM's and sometimes different RPM's on different days - not by much, but def different.  My prop pitch was decreased recently providing more RPM's, similar to Warmi's figures above, and more speed.  I have about 6 hours since the prop re-pitch and taking off and cruise are much faster.  I picked up at least 4 knots, and, a faster climbout.  When you bring the plane in for the oil change, have them take a look at the pitch.  

Should any AP be able to pitch the prop on a CT? Is there some directions on how to do it? My annual is next month. I may just wait and have the guys doing the annual look at the pitch as they are a FD distributor and repair center as the oil change guy is not...

A&Ps are not what they were in the past, to try to be a good A&P takes a lot of work and sometimes more hours than what you can charge. I find a lot of A&Ps don't care about getting the job done right and don't spend the time to check their work. I have a friend who recently had a condition inspection and a few other things done. After picking up his plane, by the time he got home 5 out of 6 loose prop bolts had failed. Nothing was double checked and apparently there was no effort to be careful. Everyone makes mistakes but this was a bad one. 

20190320_182206.jpg