Intercom audio cuts in and out

Matt LaVergne

3 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

Hope I'm not insulting you, are you familiar with the squelch knob and adjusting that up/down?  Can elaborate more, starting with the most basic item here to rule out the obvious.

I was about to suggest the same.  Not because I think Matt is not smart, but because I have made that mistake before.  :laughter-3293:

Yup, always rule out the simple things first.  I was out flying a few weeks back and turned down the radio volume, being a private strip I have no traffic around and don't make entry or take off calls or such.  Took off a few days latter and didn't notice radio was dialed down, dialed in AWOS for nearby airport I was heading to, and nothing.  I thought that was odd and then recalled I had volume down.  

From the PM3000 manual:

"The PM3000 has an automatic fail-safe interconnect to the aircraft radios. If power is disrupted to the intercom for any reason, an internal relay will connect the pilot's headset to the aircraft radio allowing continued radio communications."

Your new ignition modules and their installation shouldn't have anything to do with this problem. More likely a loose connector on the intercom.

I think the "squelch" knob on the intercom only comes into play in the intercom mode, so the fact you hear the tower fine has no bearing on the intercom squelch adjustment.

That the intercom breaks in and out and requires you to talk loud, does sound like the squelch is set too high.

Mike Koerner

7 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

I think the "squelch" knob on the intercom only comes into play in the intercom mode

Correct for all intercoms I've owned, fail safe to keep you talking with ATC.  And in the initial post it was stated can hear ATC "crystal clear", that seems to indicate the intercom is on and working for radio signal, if it went to fail safe pass through the radio only signal would possibly sound different / weaker?  That pointed to squelch setting on just the cross talk of headsets.