Rubber Strip on Main Gear Legs

EB3

This piece of rubber, which resembles weather stripping around a household door, has been dangling from the cover over the left main gear leg. What's its purpose - to prevent chaffing between the cover and the leg? Keep out moisture and dirt? Is this stripping critical - do I need to replace it? 

ED4A46C5-5D63-4695-8C36-E29004F40199_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.a113d25e7d265004652e60aa125021ec.jpeg

The CTSW has some attached to the gear leg faring where it slides inside the cuff on the fuselage. It keeps the fairing from rattling around in the cuff. it might also keep a little air out. The CTLS has it in the inside of the upper gear fairing, and also on the wheel pant to protect the composite gear leg. I would try and keep it both places to prevent the fairings from rubbing on the gear legs.

I like the fairing.  It helps with speed, looks and is high enough on the wheel to not hit grass.  I put white tape on the leg and I put the same tape on the edge of the fairing to halt the abrasion as the fairing floats on the leg. 
The failure is where the tape meets the fairing,  I will seek a permanent, thick film solution as the thin film tape solution doesn’t last.