Wear a Helmet?

GrassStripFlyBoy

Curious on thoughts regarding wearing a helmet while flying.  Seeing some fairly hard crack up's of CT's that pilots walked away from, still that spar box is rather close to one's head and thinking if anything lead to head hitting the side window, tree limbs, spar box, that a helmet would make a difference.  Have been thinking of picking one up, over the last 12 years my involvement with search and rescue leads to mostly low and slow maneuvers, often this means I'd fly it in v/s pop chute.  The county has been good about buying radios, life vests, etc.  I can probably expense this as well.  Anyone fly with helmet and have any input around function / comfort?

Interesting question.

I’ve never felt the need for one, but there’s no doubt it could help in a crash.

If one didn’t mind a “Dork Factor” of 11, it seems like a bicycle helmet* would be close to ideal, with light weight and good ventilation and visibility. Would not work with a headset, so you’d need to find an alternative in-ear solution. 

Just a thought.

*Karen calls me her “Special Ed”, and sometimes opines I should wear one all the time!

Flying helicopters in the Army and Army guard we always wore helmets. After a long day it got uncomfortable plus, on a hot day, I got really sweaty. So sweaty that ear plugs would not stay in. 

In the CT I don't think I would be able to wear that helmet without constantly banging my head. Probably wouldn't be able to sit up properly. That old SP-4 helmet was bulky and heavy.

No question about it, a helmet will prevent head injury and could easily save your life. I'm sure there are better, lighter, less bulky options out there and many aviators use them. Crop dusters for example. In Alaska helmets were required for state Fish and Wildlife pilots and other government agencies flying Super Cubs, C-185's, etc as they did off airport work. 

So, if you do a lot of low and slow, and if you can find one that works in your plane, go for it. One that has a good built in headset/mic will be expensive. But, like the fire department, you never need it until you do. And, if you do need it but didn't buy one, your last thoughts might be you would pay anything to have one. 

• 2 months later...

Pad your head or pad the spar box.  

We may assume a helmet provides better protection but it would be interesting to see the discussion of padding the cabin rather than wearing a helmet.   My absolutely subjective opinion is the helmet may protect better, but I actually have no expertise at all in this area and maybe a "padded dash" would be adequate.  We all remember when car dashboards were not only bare steel but also pointy.  Now they're padded, have air bags and we have good seat belts.

I don't disagree at all that the spar box is pretty close to my (dense) skull.  I'm only saying it is always worthwhile to look at both sides of the equation.

I agree padding the spar box is probably a better idea than a helmet. 

Frankly, the spars being the strongest part of the airplane, anything that breaks them and sends them toward your noggin is unlikely to be something you'll walk away from no matter what is on your head.  You're more likely to be flung into the spar box on impact, and that can be mitigated with tight belts and/or padding the spar box.

At least a helmet looks less dorky than local Sheriff's Dept. Helo pilot I talked to a few years ago.  Full flight suit, jam-packed survival vest, and "tanker" style pistol holster.  You'd think he was preparing to get shot down in Mogadishu, not trying to stay awake while patrolling his air-conditioned craft around Gwinnett County.  His co-pilot was wearing a polo shirt and slacks, which made it seem all the worse.

Here is a guy wearing one of these funky helmets on just about every flight - look at his mirror and judge for yourself ...
As far as that Mogadishu comment .... about 50% of my flying is over south side Chicago .. with almost 800 homicides last year and most of it concentrated right there underneath ...thats probably somewhere not too far off of Mogadishu - I don’t wear a helmet but I do carry my piece with me.

5 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Full flight suit, jam-packed survival vest, and "tanker" style pistol holster.  You'd think he was preparing to get shot down in Mogadishu

I wear just the pistol holder...; )... we all have run into these guys, hilarious.

The helmet idea for any small airplane probably isn't a bad idea.  Here is one on Aircraft Spruce, fugly color, but the reviews are interesting.  If I had a bush plane landing in bush style strips, I would probably wear one.  A few guys here discovered a sand bar on our local river and they are flying their Maules, Cubs and C170 there this week once the tide is low... if I were doing that kind of flying, I could justify a helmet.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/dchelmet.php

On 1/23/2021 at 2:49 PM, Jim Meade said:

padding the cabin rather than wearing a helmet

Would rather have the helmet protection.  I am not a physicist, but my brain hitting a plane part at say 70 mph would probably fare better with a 3/8th of foam in contact with my head in a helmet on than 3/8ths of foam on a padded plane part 20" away.  But you are correct, there are enough engineer types on this forum to debate both.

49 minutes ago, Warmi said:

I don’t wear a helmet but I do carry my piece with me

More than half of the guys in our county aero club carry, rural area - it's the culture.  One day I was talking with one of the real low key guys, the topic came up and I shared how I rarely tote it around, he was same mindset for non-flying use, but said for aviation he never flies without it.  His point is think about how often you stop at a remote airport for fuel or a pee stop, nobody around and you walk into a public setting not knowing who's inside and what's going on.  That makes sense, but still don't pack when flying, and I enjoy the full blown Sheriff card in the wallet.  

15 hours ago, Warmi said:

Here is a guy wearing one of these funky helmets on just about every flight - look at his mirror and judge for yourself ...
As far as that Mogadishu comment .... about 50% of my flying is over south side Chicago .. with almost 800 homicides last year and most of it concentrated right there underneath ...thats probably somewhere not too far off of Mogadishu - I don’t wear a helmet but I do carry my piece with me.

Oh yeah, I carry a sidearm on almost every flight, that makes total sense.  But the survival vest full of gear for the post crash escape and evasion might be a bit much.  :D

14 hours ago, GrassStripFlyBoy said:

More than half of the guys in our county aero club carry, rural area - it's the culture.  One day I was talking with one of the real low key guys, the topic came up and I shared how I rarely tote it around, he was same mindset for non-flying use, but said for aviation he never flies without it.  His point is think about how often you stop at a remote airport for fuel or a pee stop, nobody around and you walk into a public setting not knowing who's inside and what's going on.  That makes sense, but still don't pack when flying, and I enjoy the full blown Sheriff card in the wallet.  

It's all personal preference.  I think where it makes the most sense is flying in truly rural areas where you could theoretically be in the wilderness for hours (or days) before rescue.  Think Steve Fossett.  And even then, something simple like a .22 pistol is probably the best bet.

Just noticed this thread while I never considered a helmet I did have an issue last year flying back down the Hudson to KPOU to get fuel before coming home to Cleveland where I forgot my seatbelt coming in on final and caught the worst wind sheer I've ever had. My head smashed so hard into the spar box that for a minute or two I couldn't even see , my passenger (also a pilot) flew the rest of the approach / landing. Lesson learned,  always make sure you belts on!

As far as carrying, I almost always carry as well. 

• Admin2 locked this topic